Thread: Tailor fishing off the rocks

Tailor fishing off the rocks

I've been using Platypus Platinum 20-25lb due to its thinner diameter than other brands, but my mate reckons it's better to use thicker line as it stands up to abrasion better.

Anybody got any preferences on this?

Also was reading Wazza's tailor rigs on page 22 of the June Bush & Beach mag. He seems to go a lot heavier than me. Am I too light?

The old legend. ???

Re: Tailor fishing off the rocks

For fishing the beach you are right on in fact I use 15 lb.
    Off the rocks I use 30lb as the Tailor always fight harder and you will always run into those big greenbacks.
    Wazza is right there are some bigs ones around and I find wire is the only thing to stop them. Over the last 18 months I have moved from 40 to 60 to 80 lb leaders and finally nylon coated wire and it is amazing what they have done to the wire.
    It also depends upon your bait as to what setup.
    Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels

Thanks Jew-Man,

Will take your advice. Have been using a 650B with 15lb on the beach and a 650B with 20lb and also a 6500BCVRR with 25lb on the rocks and also the breakwall at Iluka. I've got a 700-C5 with 30lb on it so will give that a go.

I use a 13'6" Butterworth and the bait we use are IQF pillies with four Mustad 4/0 4202D hooks. (Sometimes three 5/0 4202D hooks, depending on the pillies). The last lot of IQF pillies we got seemed a lot better than the frozen block ones you get from bait shops.

Got some black crane swivels recently that are smaller for their b/s than the brass barrel ones and am keen to give these a go.

Ta

The old legend.

Mate, for mine Platypus Platinum is as good as any mono on the market. I use the flouro yellow 8kg Platypus Pre-Test for night fishing on the beach, (easier for me to see), excellent knot strength etc, have landed jew to 25.5kg on it. Off the rocks would be a different matter, I'd probaly go the Platinum in 30lb, very good abrasion resistance and quite thin for the breaking strain. Aussie made as well. Cheers.

old ledgen, why not use 30 pound platypus super 100 hundred, its thinner then platnuim and strong enough as a main line to hold any tailor.

da jew man, im now using 80 pound black majic as a leader during the day and 6o pound seven strand nylon coated at night. have been smashed by big tailor on wire plenty of times.

Guys, where the hell are you fishing that you need 80lb leader to catch Tailor? I am in Sydney, fish from ulladulla to port stephens and have never seen action hot and hard enough to warrant that kind of strength

Tell me where, I wanna go there! I usually use 20lb briad main line with 30lb vanish trace. Anyone got anything bad to say about vanish? I havent had any issues with it, but do feel that it could be gimmicky.

Glen

im using it because of single hook rig. tailor teeth and mono ( no matter how heavy ) dont mix. doulbe island, straddie, moreton, fraser, rainbow beach.

I only use pillies if I am chasing some small choppers for livies.
    While I do not normally fish for Tailor I have had some fun in the last 18 months with Tailor up to 6.5 kg from the rocks and I am certain there was even some marginally bigger when they were on. Generally though the fish are 2-3kg and give a good fight.
    For these I am using fresh mullet fillets and fresh bonito.
    Where, well I would be skinned if I told you but lets say not far from the border of Queensland.

6.5KG and bigger!

Glen, as DJM says, night fishing, , tailor as a by-catch, a 2kg chopper will make a mess of 80lb trace, let alone a 6.5 model ...... awesome ........when using fillets for jew. At night the fish can't see your trace, and tailor ain't too fussy IMHO! Cheers and good luck!

Damn, fellas. Down around newcastle area a 2kg Tailor is a fine catch, i wouldn't know what hit me if a 6.5er got onto the end of my line. I use 20lb Platinum with 3 5/0 ganged and never had a problem,(never had anything near a 6.5 either).

I'm trying 40lb wire trace with a single 6/0 and a 5lb Aussie Salmon the other night did a good job at roughing it up.

The 6.5kg Tailor hit like a small Jewie and took 15 minutes to get in after 2 solid runs taking 30-40 m each run. Too be honest I did not know it was a Tailor until we had him up on the rocks. I was using 30 lb line with a wire leader and 2 x 8/0 Gammakatsu hooks , one snelled and a whole slab of fresh mullet.
    They are out there.

Gotto agree wit hglp...why such heavy gear guys...Ive fished Box head sth up to now GC seaway in the north...biggest tailor cam whe nlivebaiting for Jew at the Entrance channel..live mullet ,single 8/0 hit hard but nothing I couldnt handle on 20Lb tortue...I know a lot of people think its outdated but tortue has the ability to resist abrasion IMO..beach to rock its the best...I use 20Lb main line and 30Lb trace...sometimes double...but thats it...biggest greenback to date was on a jew session as mentione9Lb7OZ....... but thats just my .2c