Thread: rod and reel

scotty

rod and reel

wat type of rod and reel would you recommend to me to catch bass with also wat type of sounder for dams and rivers any info is welcome thanks

Re: rod and reel

The way i see it 3 different outfits will cover most if not all applications when fishing for bass. A spin stick and 2 baitcasting outfits. for a spin outfit try a good graphite rod rated at 2-4kg around 7ft. Match this with a small spin reel. Say a 1500 or 2000 size daiwa or a 1500-2500 size shimano (or any other reel that size that takes your fancy). Spool this up with 4-8lb fireline. This outfit should be used for plastics, small spinnerbaits, poppers and small minows. This is also ideal for live shrimp. For a baitcasting outfit i recomend a 6ft rod (shorter rods are more accurate) around the 2-4 kg mark with a low profile reel spooled with light braid 4 or 6lb. When fishing in timber a stronger rod is required around the 3-5kg mark spooled with 8 or 10lb braid. a heavier rod also makes casting heavy spinner baits easier. the spin outfit will be cheapest. For around $150 you can pick up an outfit that will last and perform to a required standard, but you can easily spend $400 which will get you some pretty top shit gear without going to the extremes of team daiwa reels and loomis rods etc. A baitcasting outfit will set you back a bit more. Around the $200 mark is what I see as a minimun for something that again will perform and last. Stay away from cheap baitcasting reels if you haven't used one before and want to learn as they will only make casting more difficult.