Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modify TLD for deep water

Modify TLD for deep water

Tlds are a popular lever drag reel for bottom bashing, but the japanese original designed these reels for light game fishing and therefore the handles tend to be a little short for deep water. If you tend to fish water depths of up to 50 meters the standard handle will do the job, but beyond this depth its a big advantage to extend the length of the handle. An extended handle helps in a number of ways, firstly it gives the angler much more leverage on a stuborn fish and you find that you dont tire as quick during an extended fight and it also aids in retrieving line from great depths its faster and less draining of energy.Theres a number of different models that benifate from this modification, firstly the single speed 20 and 25 have a handle length of around 58mm from centre of handle to the centre of the shaft, this needs to be increased to somewhere around 82mm to 85mm i believe. Theres a number of ways this can be done for the handy man. You can use either 316 stainless plate or as i have chrome plated brass or even perhaps a modified handle off of some other reel, shape a handle. Rather then trying to explain a method i'l show some pics of the reels, its a mater of drilling, filing, die grinding to the required size and shape..
    This is a standard tld 25 handle...

Re: Modify TLD for deep water

A modified handle made from brass with the hole drilled and cut and filed to shape, the nob on the modified reel is a standard alvey one..

Ready to fit onto a tld 25

The finished product with new longer handle and alvey reel nob, the centre bar(normally over the spool) has been removed on this tld 25 to allow for better stray lining, the braid is spooled relatively low on the spool, this seems to give the reel a better ratio. This reel as you see it will retrieve at nearly a third faster then a standard reel in a race from 100 meters, and the angler using it wont have as sore as arms either.

The other Tlds in this class are the two speed 20 and 30s, they too have reasonably short handles for the same reasons. To fix this problem its just a mater of buying the handle off there big brothers the tiagras. The tiagra handles can be purchased off shimano and cost about $55-$60. Heres one fitted to a tld 30...foxy

Hope this info helps a few of you (chris) catch ya...foxy

Top info there Dave. I have to draw up what i am after and give it to the tool makers. Is that handle length good hey? I am going down to am@rt to see what prices they are doing them for now as i will get them to make me 2 handles.
    Thanks Dave
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good thread Foxy!!!
    A good example of a simple modification that can make life a lot easier.

Good stuff.....Tony

Foxy

It obviously works for you and I would think that the longer handle could be more convenient. # You are an expert and so who am I to argue #- especially after AJ Tony has endorsed what you have said. #BUT #I can't help myself:

1, One revolution of the handle gives one turn of the spool. Too short a handle would make it awkward and fiddley to retrieve. A longer handle though might make for slower #work #(more arm movement for one revolution) #As an exaggeration, think about how much work it would be if the handle was say 1 foot long (and how much slower). #I can't help but think it takes longer to get the longer handle around the longer revolution. #I reckon that what is going on here at least for you is that you find the longer handle better suits the way you like to use the reel(better ergonomics rather than better physics) #and it gives YOU a faster retrieve than the fiddley shorter standard handle.

2. #The bit I don't get though is why you think a less-filled spool gives a faster retrieve. #One revolution of the handle gives one rev of the spool. #If the spool is bigger, one revolution returns more line than if it is smaller.(think a 4" vs a 7" alvey and one turn of the handle). More line on the spool makes the effective diameter of the spool bigger #- so one rev returns more line.

I have learned to manage reel torque with my TLD25 by finding a place for it to rest on my left arm. #My logic tells me that the longer handle might generate more reel torque. #what do you reckon?

Just read back through this and it probably seems that #I'm #trying to be a smart ar$e here. But I'm genuinely trying to work out why the longer handle works so much better for you (and then for me Seriously, no offense meant.

Tony

PS what is "stray lining" and why does the removal of the bar help it ?

Tony
    More the point is it's so much more comfortable turning the handle in a larger arc rather than in a tight, short arc. It's more the comfort that will enable you to pull fish up much easier, and consequently faster. Less braid on the spool won't speed up the retrieve, but will give a more powerful retrieve to get em up off the bottom, and away from the reef.

Regards, Tony

Hey Tony you should dabbell in these. Could be a importer ??? and have a Ausfish discount
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good one foxy. We have been using tld20 with modified handles for years and can second foxy that they are much easier to wind up fish from deep water and that is why it is quicker. We use them in 100+ meters of water for pearlies, bar cod and aj's. Not sure on all the technical stuff but I know that it works. Our mods are not as tidy as foxy's, we made one handle out of 2 and bolted them together. There is a happy medium though, as too long is a pain. If anyone can get some made I would be very interested in them. Tony.

Just might look into those Spiro
    Could be worth getting some made for other reel types too.

Tony

Thanks for the info foxy as my 10 year old boy boy does not
    have the strength to wind in fish over 5kg. Will give the longer handle a go as a 2 speed TLD 20 would be too heavy. Have already tried half spooling reel to make easier to turn around but he still has trouble.
    Noticed the white mark on your TLD 30 is lined up with the strike position, is that for setting the drag?
    Thanks Youngy

Tony-N -I know what your getting at, and in theory it all sounds wrong, but i guess in a way its a bit like a boat winch, to short a handle and it makes for a hard retrieve and too long your winding and getting nowhere.We've experimented on these reels to get the best out of them.As far as how full a spool to use it differs on which tld you are using. The tld 20- 25 single speed makes for a much harder retrieve overspooled, where as with the different gear ratios on the tld 20 2 speed its better to fill the spool right up.IOf your using mono you dont have the choice and need the reel spooled up.
    Another example of the entire theory can be found in many of your penn and diawa overheads, most come out with a handle that has two different adjustments for length, i remember people buying the extended handles for the penn senators for the same reasons as well.
    Tony as for taking the bar out, sometimes we feed lightly wieghted baits out and having no bar there to impeed the gentle stripping of line off the reel is an advantage, it also restricts the chances of over runs tangling and allows better access to line coming off the spool.And no jaming of fingers when a fish hits unexpected.The reels have never suffered any ill side affects from this alteration, even after countless hours on huge fish.
    All these changes have come about from using these reels under verying conditions mainly in deep water and for extended use and sometimes for large quantities of fish.
    For anyone fishing deep water its an advantage that has to be used to believe, anyone making handles i need a few more as well hope that helps tony, catch ya mate...foxy