Thread: Problems with tld 25 !!!!

Problems with tld 25 !!!!

Well , Started off with the reel being hard to wind and then sudden loss of drag pressure. To get any drag you have to wind the lever right up to full and then you can't get a wind on the reel. Did take the reel apart to have look for any bearings that could of seized or any obstructions like salt build up ect in reel inside reel casing itself. Every thing checked out fine and spotless inside. Well gave up after 5 attempts of fixing myself and sent it into be fixed by a propper reel repairer through a well known tackle shop.( won't say where). Initially i thought it may have been the bearing that is inside handle so to speak that winds the cogs that had seized or the spring under the drag tensioner associated with the handle. Have phoned the tackle shop several times over the past month and a half with the old " i'm seeing the repair man today, i will ring you back". No returned calls at all. They obviously can't work it out. Can the spool on the reel warp or become out of shape in any way under full load using 30lb braid. I did tell them that but i think it fell on deaf ears as well. Anyway gave them a chance but they only get one and there customer service is up the sh*t.

Any ideas on the reel,

Cheers, Adds

Re: Problems with tld 25 !!!!

Adds, how long did the reel work fine for and what drag pressure were you running, what kind of fish have you been subjecting it to?
    rob

Mate the reel is about four years old and has got some good fish like snapper, reds aj's etc. Never really fished water often deeper than 80 meters. Drag pressure is set at 4.5 kgs so the reel has had a good innings and has been serviced twice before. Have nearly fully locked up in turning a few a fish from the sharks at times but would 30lb braid hurt the reel?
    Cheers adds...

I would say it's your bearings,if not the main bearing under the gear then more than likely the ones inside the spool,hard to say without looking at the reel,but nine times out of ten that's what goes in TLD's.

From your description, I reckon there is nothing wrong with the gear case. It sounds like it could be something to do with the spool & spindle setup, more so the way the drag pressure plate works. Could be that bearing under pressure locks up. Even a bent spindle maybe??

Did the issue just start to happen on its own or was it after a fight, dropped etc ?
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Check pinion gear is in right way and that the bearing in the side plate right hand handle side is free. also check drag adjustment knob on reel that parts are correctlyind serted there. If shop can't fix it send me a pm and tell ne where you are and we might be able to do something about it.

Thanks for the feedback fella's, The reel has been pretty well looked after and hasn't been dropped or damaged. I actually thought it could have been the dial spring had gone cause you could wind the pre-program dial right in with out any effect on drag tension. With the side plate off, the spool spun uneffected in casing. I also had a good look at the bearing in gear casing and seemed to spin pretty good as well. On its last trip winding became near impossible and it made a noise as if the spool was rubbing on something, anyway i'll give these fella's at the shop a bell and just pick it up finished or not. Might be out near Hutchies Sat so say G'day if you see an old Quinnie Fishmaster C/C painted black above waterline.

Cheers Adds....

The reel has been fixed, they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it but will find out tomorrow when I pick it up. Thanks for the feedback and will let you know what the problem was.

Cheers Adds....

The problem was the main gear bearing had compressed from pressure and was had it . Bearing replaced and reel is now ready to go.

cheers Adds...

Adds
    One would imagine that it would take a hell of a lot of pressure to compress a bearing like that. Sounds strange, especially if the bearing was not siezed.

Regards, Tony

sounds weird to me as well. Especially since that bearing has nothing to do with the drag pressure plate.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Have seen a similar problem in a Penn lever reel that was used regularly and serviced well, it turned out that he had tried to pull up the plug and managed to distort rather than compress the bearing, leaving the whole reel tight and somewhat noisy.