Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: g loomis rods are they worth the extra $

Re: g loomis rods are they worth the extra $

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman
    Dear Moderators

If you have blocked Lures for telling it like it is, you have stupidly lost a knowledge base worth 1,000 posts from the average hack (maybe 2,000 in my case!). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume his PC has a virus.
    Is that from Lures or from a combination of members?

If it is just from Lures then 60 posts being equal to 1000 is a BIG call.

I was thinking it might have been for using ausfish to push a product/brand name (e.g the L word). The moderators may have also deleted posts that contained inappropriate content and banned him. Maybe I'm wrong but thats my guess.

I remember having a pretty pointless argument about this same topic (loomis) about a year ago with a freind of mine. Looking back I really think I should have just accepted his reasons for choosing this brand of rod afterall we are all different people and therefore have different ideas about the tackle we buy (and how we fish for that matter). Each to their own I say.

i read all these through this post again and i think mangajacks comment was the "mostest"(lock that vizard up ffs').
    it hit the mark one thing is though- people that actually do....work! don't have time for scratchin' themselves.
    and after watchin pete beattie and a bunch of his entuerage of bludgers spend 1/3 of a day promoting nothing but themselves and stop energex technical staff(the ones the phat secutaries whinged about getting a pay rise) from 'getting on with the job'.
    these media types that call little guys bludgers are all in the gravy train of overpayed good for nuthins'. yes bring on the the new IR reforms it will be great to see a heap of public servants get sacked like what happened to telstra and all the banks....hell yeah i'm a commie and yeah i'm pist!
    gst=40% tax on a low income earner, i think with this setting for tax on sid meyer's civ- your game would be up real quick!
    sorry for this digression, but i had to say sumthin'
    damon

I am fortunate enough to own a GL3 which I use exclusively for casting lures around the snags. I mistakenly left it at home recently and spent about six hours solid casting a Sic Stic. Believe me if you cast lures all day, the difference is quite amazing - just ask my forearms and back.

I must admit however upon hooking up, I really didn't think the difference was noticeable.

Just my honest opinion. Kind regards... David

imported_admin

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman
    Dear Moderators

If you have blocked Lures for telling it like it is, you have stupidly lost a knowledge base worth 1,000 posts from the average hack (maybe 2,000 in my case!). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume his PC has a virus.
    He is not on the banned list, so it is up to him if he doesn't want to reply.

Barrymundi

Hi Browny,

Lures cannot log on, his "password is invalid"

Al

scott_b

Gday fish head
    just out of interest what rod did you get if you are game to say.
    wamjam

you are better off buying a samurai what ever and making the rod you self you dont need much thing to start of with than going out and spending say 500 to 1000 on any rod not just g loomis i say and stand by it 250 dollars at the most you spend if you spend more than that your a dick head i think it just a his got a g loomis so i got to go and get one if you get what im saying have a go at makin your own one its easy and there is heaps of web sites that have rod building things after you get in to building your own your never look at another rod made in a factor again

Quote Originally Posted by pitto
    you are better off buying a samurai what ever and making the rod you self you dont need much thing to start of with than going out and spending say 500 to 1000 on any rod not just g loomis i say and stand by it 250 dollars at the most you spend if you spend more than that your a dick head i think it just a his got a g loomis so i got to go and get one if you get what im saying have a go at makin your own one its easy and there is heaps of web sites that have rod building things after you get in to building your own your never look at another rod made in a factor again
    import your own g.loomis gl2,gl3 or imx blank & fittings & still build your own around $250-$300 ad another $100 odd for glx.
    the question still (to me) is it worth the extra $s we are charged by australian suppliers

"import your own g.loomis gl2,gl3 or imx blank & fittings & still build your own around $250-$300 ad another $100 odd for glx."

Got an address or website for this?

There are a lot of factors that go into building a good rod and the blank is only one of them. I work part time in a tackle shop and I have done some custom rod work in the past so I have some idea of what to look for.

I was looking for a good bait caster recently so I strung a short length of mono through the guides and put a working curve in some of the rods in the shop.

Much to my disappointment, I found that most of the high end builds were just plain bad when it came to correct guide spacing – they was way too much space between the guides allowing the line to foul badly on the blank. $600 for bad guide spacing – I don’t think so! I would sooner build my own and do a proper job for that price.

I like a little forgiveness in my blanks – a little room for error when fighting the fish. After all, isn’t that what a rod is for? My best choice came down to a $150 Penn with all fuji hardware. Great guide spacing, good hardware and a medium fast action IM6 blank for easy angling. Can’t argue with the price or the money back guarantee.

Your choice will depend upon the size of your wallet, your own personal preferences and the application that you are using the rod for. But if you are going to blow your paypacket, have a good close look at just what it is that you are really getting for your hard earned money – too late once you are hooked up and the real truth comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    "import your own g.loomis gl2,gl3 or imx blank & fittings & still build your own around $250-$300 ad another $100 odd for glx."

Got an address or website for this?
    here you go..
    http://shop.mudhole.com/s.nl/sc.2/ca.../it.I/id.12/.f
    last blank i got(St.Croix) shipping was AUD$46, 5 working days to my front door..

the dollars down a couple of cents since then..
    use fuji fittings, deluxe reel seat, BSVLGs with a PST tip.

another part of the site that may be of interest to some
    http://shop.mudhole.com/site/HMAIL/6_8_2005.html

Thanks DR.

I will have a look.

Broke my loomis on the weekend , paid $130 got a brand new IMX with no questions asked. Now, that is why I bought a Loomis. Great warranty without question.
    Mick

I don't know how you can break a rod with normal use?

I've no claim to being the the greatest fisho but I've never broken any rod. I just can't understand how you can break a rod without some kind of abuse involved perhaps short of accidental damage in transit or whatever. Are we all just asking too much of these superlight blanks? I've got a 6ft samaurai spin stick (3kg) and while i've certainly had it loaded up with some scary bends, i've only ever broken line when it's been overcooked. probably because i only use 3kg line. Is there a bit of fudging out there with line sizes and reasonalbe expectations??? ???

Roo.