Thread: More Down rigging Question

More Down rigging Question

I'm pretty keen to do some down rigging for Spanno's this season. I know nothing about it except the rigs are pretty expensive.

Does anyone on the site make there own bombs if so I would be interested in purchasing a couple?

Am I being to naive in thinking that attaching the bomb to a measured cord ( other than being messy when I need to haul it up) would work well or should I be attaching it to a outrigger of some description to get it away form the boat?

I could not imagine down rigging more than 20 to 30 metres, how much line (on the rig) would I expect to use at slow trolling speed

I figure wire is the best line to use because it cuts the drag down but I'm not going to spend big dollars on the system, can any one give me cheaper home made options?

Do you also lightly weight the bait as well?

Sorry if these questions are a bit basic but I did a seach to try and school up on the subject but it did not reveal much.

John

Re: More Down rigging Question

John my father in law thought my downrigger was too complicated so he used to use 200lb mono with home made weights with great success. The only downside was that he would forget to pull them up before he charged off and lost a few.

Steve

hey john

yea ,no reason you cant bodgey something up.old deck winches are a good start.heavy braid also works good as cable.bombs arent to dear and most places sell them now so if you cant get a homemade one easly id just buy one,make a rubber band clip like the one in the other post.

just make sure whatever you are using to wind your cable/braid onto has some sort of drag or release mechanism on it.ill guarantee if you start trolling and your not getting fish you will want to troll closer to the bottom,eventually you will get to the bottom and get snagged and because you are trolling either your cable will snap and you will lose your bomb or you will break whatever you have tied it to

give webby a PM hes the home made downrigger guru round these parts.also i know snappa/peter put a fair bit of work into one a while back.

cheers scott

Scott, do you have any problem with dropping them beside the boat or is it better to try to out rig a little. I think I'm onto a snapper winch. Mate is there different weights I should be looking at for the bombs?

And thanks for the info

you only need it far enough away that the cable isnt rubbing on your hull.alot of ones made from winches have a little boom say 30cm long welded to them you just put a pulley on the end.you also need to know how deep your running so you need a way of measuring how much cable is out/count the turns/mark the cable/or go the hole hog and buy a cannon pulley/cable counter for around $70 but if you do that dont make the boom till you have it then make the boom to suit.

bombs start around 6lb up to around 13lb of course the heavier the better but you have to wind the thing up and down(fast if your catching fish}so the lightest one that will hang fairly vertical,given the current and your troll speed, the better.id go an 8 lb for starters.

the cable on most dr's is 135LB ,7 strand game wire and if you hunt around you should be able to get 50 and 100 m rolls.

so get out to the shed
    cheers scott