Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: g loomis rods are they worth the extra $

Re: g loomis rods are they worth the extra $

roo i think you would find that most breakages are from abuse 9not such a good term maybe pushing the rod too far)
    i have snapped two rods while on fish and although these sure wern't loomis one was a samaurai 006 and the other a cheaper dawia procoyn
    both time i was fishing right in the oyster racks catching big bream on light line (well 4lb-6lb fireline i now have a 10lb outfit for this type work) so i did have alot of stick on the fish with very very tight drag with a touch of highsticking oh well this is why i wouldn't pay much more than $200 for a bream rod

Roo
    The rod broke when a bow mount foot pedal fell on it. Funny thing is the boat I was on didn't have any rod racks and I didn't like the idea of puting rods on a casting deck, never again !
    Mick

To the topic at hand, G loomis rods are over rated, owned 3, broke 3. They don't catch the fish you do, and they are only as accurate as the person holding it.
    If you feel the need to outlay that much money, thats up to you. Only you can justify that.
    My preference, after breaking the 3rd loomis was to get a custom rod built to suit me. I now have 6 custom rods. Rod builders do take pride in building rods, Use the money to get a custom rod made to suit you. you'll be better off.

my Two bobs worth

Nobby

Bought a loomis GL2 last year and I love the damn thing,top quality build,crisp, accurate to cast. A top rod for SP's and hardbody lures easy to cast all day and great to twitch those plastics... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mick,
    Bugger . the $130 lesson in rod storage is hard to take although it would seem like nothing after what you can lay out for these rods in the first place. As we all know it comes down to getting what you want and being happy with it!!
    good luck with the new one.

Basserman,
    You'd have to feel a little "hard done by". 3kg line and a busted rod. Mind you I read a blurb from Starlo' about that the 4lb squidgey braid having a "unknotted breaking strain exceeding 4kg" and fireline not being far behind. perhaps the superlines are the issue???? ???.

cheers, Roo (a bit off the subject)

Quote Originally Posted by orbyroo
    perhaps the superlines are the issue???? ???.

cheers, Roo (a bit off the subject)
    shouldn't be an issue, you can fish 50kg on a 4kg rod if you wish,BUT,you can still only fish the rod to it's 4kg limit.
    it would appear that some are overstetching the rods capabilities with some of the braids etc.
    basically once your rod reaches it's optimum working curve your reel drag should give line. if your rod breaks under these conditions it probably has a fault.
    if you need to apply more pressure go to a heavier rod.
    probably where the more upmarket rod blanks give more choice, ie; still have a light tip but a heck of a more grunt down low. bit like a 4kg tip & a 6-8kg butt..

as DR said i was pushing it well past what i should of but then again in the racks you just can't give them a inch or it will be all over

but hey thats bream spinning

I'd rather lose a couple of bucks worth of plastics and jig heads than blow a rod to bits. All sounds fun untill it comes undone >
    Roo.

aquarius

Guys if you pay $700 for a G-loomis and they give a life time warranty then surely paying $130 for a replacement new rod sounds great to me.........no matter how you break the rod!!!!!!
    Cheers Brent

been thinking about this... what actually IS a lifetime warranty on these?
    is it the owners lifetime? if you sell the rod can it be transferred to the new owner? if so can an 80yo old sell to a 6 yo & the warranty continue?
    must be some kind of cutoff point, because if not how can they afford to keep replacing for $130. if no cutoff point we would all be mad not to buy a set & pass them through the family, as heirlooms, for generations to come. so, what are the conditions of the lifetime warranty??now i have thought of this i am really curious..

I don't think warranty is tranferrable. Commercial suicide.

I think "lifetime warranty" as a statement can be quite amibiguous. Generally refers to lifetime of the product. How long is that?????

G'day All
    The Loomis warranty is for the lifetime of the rod,even if you buy one second hand and break it,pay your $130.00 and it's replaced .You can even pay a bit extra and uprade to a better model if you want Happy days.
    Cheers
    Glenn

Is it true loomis rods need to be sent to the states for warranty approval? Saw someone on another site saying their rod had to be sent to the states before replacement was given.

Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

G'day Heath
    No they don't have to go to the States.My one and only rod I have broken,which by the way was 8yrs old,was replaced on the spot with a current model.
    cheers
    Glenn

sad bit is that $130 is propably the cost price!
    wish i could charge that much profit on my services.
    damon.