Thread: Backbone 3-5kgs

Backbone 3-5kgs

Could any of the resident soft plastic fisherman provide any feedback on the Shimano Backone 7ft 3-5kgs. Thinking about picking one up as a starter SP rod as they are currently on special at "those of whom we do not speak".

Thanks

Re: Backbone 3-5kgs

3V's

Dont Know of the rod but you can pick up berkley drop shot rods these days in a few different ratings for around 120 bucks.

Nice actions and I would get one if I was after another rod.

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

I have a 6'6 2-4kg backbone and have used it with plastics but found it to be to whippy. There are a few rods such as the berkley dropshot or raider series that IMHO are better suited to plastics.

Cheers.

Marcel.

I've got a 6'6" Drop Shot, and it is a fantastic rod! Berkley have now brought out longer versions of the rod (Up to 7'4" I think) now, and I would definately go for the longer rod. It lets you cast the lighter weights that little bit further.

A 7'4" Dropshot rod in the 2-4kg range would cover everything from chasing bream & flatties right through to Squiries on the shallow reefs! Matched to a 2000 size reel would be perfect. If you can get a reel with 2 spools, you could load one with 4-6lb braid, and the other with 6-10lb braid. This would cover you for everything. Just change the spools to suit!

Hope this helps.

These rods are re-badged as Shimano 'ET Special Edition' rods at Big W for about $50.

Thanks for the info - I see the Dropshots on specaial for $99 at Camp M.

fishingnottake

Quote Originally Posted by joeT
    These rods are re-badged as Shimano 'ET Special Edition' rods at Big W # for about $50.
    what the berkley's are rebaged? or the backbones?

They a rebadged backbones and I just checked mine and they are 'ET Limited Edition' not special edition.

I use a 6'6 backbone and a 7 footer and find them very nice for finessing softies around. But then I prefer a whippy rod for my rod work.
    However I can tell you that the 6,6 has plenty of power also here is an accidental capture I got whilst flicking for chopper on south fraser. The rod and reel an okuma epix eb30 never missed a beat. However I have to say I was very surprised when I got it in. http://paradzik.com/goldy2.jpg

Nice Fish.

The Backbone in question was a BB702.

have been looking at getting one of these rods for the GF, she not really into lures, but loves soaking a bait for flathead and bream, she also tends to be a bit heavy handed at times.

would the 3-5kg rod be good for this?

Thanks

Mark

Brenno I bought the one in the picture for my little lady. However as things have turned out I use it alot more than her #

Bought a 6'6" Berkely Drop Shot rod 2- 4 kgs a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. It was a noticeable difference for me going from a fibreglass rod throwing plastics to the Drop Shot.
    Regards Cameron.

Those drop shots are quite nice little rods.
    They are ranging in price from about $80 for the lighter versions-(2-4kg, 3-5kg)

Regards, Tony