Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOME MADE DOWNRIGGER

Re: HOME MADE DOWNRIGGER

I have been thinking of making one up as well. But wanted to be as simple as possible.

Thunderbirds model look great.

If you are only fishing reasonably shallow water, say up to about 25 - 30 m, do you think you could get away with a very solid rod chopped off at the first guide, and a big spinning real loaded with about 200lb mono instead of wire? You would obviously be restricted in the bomb weight, but do you think you would be able to get by.

Or still with the alvey, but on the chopped off rod and the mono.

I suppose I can easily bend up a bit of pipe and a few hose clips to connect the reel. ok, the rod idea is probably not that good.

Spinning reel= gears=poor winching ability under load. Alvey a better option.
    or Bicycle wheel off a toddllers bike tyre removed,( dont let the parents see you pinch the kids wheel .
    rando

Big_Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    I have been thinking of making one up as well. But wanted to be as simple as possible.

Thunderbirds model look great.

If you are only fishing reasonably shallow water, say up to about 25 - 30 m, do you think you could get away with a very solid rod chopped off at the first guide, and a big spinning real loaded with about 200lb mono instead of wire? You would obviously be restricted in the bomb weight, but do you think you would be able to get by.

Or still with the alvey, but on the chopped off rod and the mono.

I suppose I can easily bend up a bit of pipe and a few hose clips to connect the reel. ok, the rod idea is probably not that good.

Any muffler shop will have stainless pipe and will bend it as well.
    Best to use a roller from the chandlery, sail boats have heaps or them you will find one to suit.
    Trying to run the line at a hard angle through the rod eye with a weight on will not work well. And if you use braided wire it will cut into the eye.
    The Alvey's work well, I use a 725 and the clutch locks tight enough to hold the weight and can be lowered by loosening the star nut letting the clutch slip.
    Cheers Kev.

top roller

I tell ya this article has more moves than ELVIS! uh ha....

Looks like a trip to the muffler shop.

Thanks for the roller picture. How simple is that, just a bolt on shackle.

I think it may be time for a trip to General Chat. Hasn't been there yet. Or return home to Saltwater.

And one more question whilst I am thinking about it,,,, When you use a rod holder for the downrigger, where/how far away is your rod holder for the rod? I assume you put the rod in a holder closer to the stern. I have 2 main holders that are about 1200mm apart. With the extra length of the rod, is this too far away? Or is that better to be further away so that there is a bit more separation between the downrigger line and the fishing line. Can you tell I have never used downriggers before??