Thread: keeping s ps

keeping s ps

Hi Guys
    About to buy a tackle box to keep all the sps I seem to be gathering, would appreciate some advice.
    Do I have to be careful what plastic box they go in out of the packets or is it best to store in the packets they are purchased in.
    I dont think the Gulps or Grubs I have been using would matter but the scaley type dont look real good after being out of the bag for a while
    I remember the early days of worm proof boxs. You younger guys might not know what I am talking about but back some time ago you kept your plastic lures in worm proof boxs only or they would seem to melt into the boxs sides. I think the worm proof tag came out of the USA I dont know what it referred to.
    Thought I might try one of those boxs that have multi pull out containers that are retained within a pull down front panel, seen one on tele the other day being used by one of the NT guides.
    Your comments appreciated before I weigh in a couple of hundred bucks.

Wally

Re: keeping s ps

I keep all mine in the original packeting, keeps the scent on them and doesnt dry them out or get sun damage. You seem to know about the worm proof tackle boxs, go with them if u want to take them out of packaging and dont mix different plastics with one another.

Definately keep them in the bags!!! Especially the Gulps!

You can buy SP Wallets to store the packets in. I picked up 2 Berkley ones for $10 each from Campmart on the weekend. They have 10 sealable plastic sleeves in each one, and you put the original packets into these sleeves.

Besides, if you take them all out of the packets (Which I used to do), it gets hard to tell what colour is what (Has anyone tried to tell the difference between Squidgy Black n Gold and Squidgy Garry Glitter when they are out of the packet! )

Wally, Ive purchased a Plano Tackle box like you mentioned with the pull out boxes for the plastics and store my leaders,Braid sissor,pliers and jigheads in the top section.I removed them all from there packets no problems at all. One box full of 2 to 3 inch grubs,one of shads,wrigglers and squidgyfish and the other box of misc pre rigged like storms etc...I would leave scented baits like gulps and ecogear in there plastic packs however....This setup is tops for fishing from the boat and when you want to fish the banks for flathead etc you can just remove a box or two and put them in a shoulder bag..I had all my plastics in sp wallets before this which was good until i accumulated 60 or so bags of plastics which made it hard to find the ones i wanted a lot of the time.The sun doesn't worry the plastics as long as they are kept in the tackle box most of the time and the boxes seal pretty well eliminating the plastics from drying out..Here's some pics hopefully this helps you out cheers Smithy...

another pic

another

last one

really last one!

nice looking setup fish smith
    Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for the pics Fishsmith.I'ts really helpful to see pics of how other sp addicts hold their collections. I'm only just getting into sp's and don't have a digital camera, but I have started to think about how I'm going to organise mine when they start to accumulate. It would be teriffic if some of the more experienced sp fishers were willing to post pics of how they organise theirs.
    regards Knackers

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Hey Wally old fella

I don't know anything about the 'worm proof' thingo's.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks smithy
    thats spot on what Iam looking at,yours looks the goods.K Mart are selling those boxs for $59 I will get one now thanks

Dave, Sue looks after you to well for you to worry about worms.

Its true however that some lures put up against certain plastics will disolve and the Yanks call the tackle boxs that dont have this problem worm proof.Far be it for me to understand the way the Yanks think.

The wind has blown all weekend strong enough to blow the milk out of your coffee and heres WORK, Monday calm and beautiful, wheres the justice in this world.

Hey Dave remember the lady with the voice on the other side of us at 1770 she has just sent me sew on patches for my jacket with my big boat name and rego number.Didnt even know they were coming. I might have to re think how I treat people.

Wally

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Sounds good Wal. Wonder if she'd make me some.

Cheers to you and Ruth

Dave