Thread: Jack rigs - lure fishing

Far_Canal

Jack rigs - lure fishing

Just curious about everyones setup for jacks this season ? Im thinking about kittin up a heartland 12-14lb rod with 14lb fireline and a daiwa laguna 2500 reel. Anyone else out there similar ?

PS. Excuse me if theres already been a topic on this

Re: Jack rigs - lure fishing

HI Far,

I use two outfits mainly, 1st 5'8" 8kg Steve starling barra baitcaster with calcutta 200 spooled with 30lb fireline and 40/60lb leader which has been popped at times, used for livebaiting trolling and throwing softies, 2nd 7ft shimano t-curve tournament over a 2000 team daiwa advantage spooled with 4lb fireline and 12lb vanish leader, for poppers and when I'm feeling lucky.

Cheers
    Matty

Never chased em before, but I've setup a small overhead with 10lb braid, and 20lb leader. Hopefully this will get me a few this year!!!

while i've not caught a jack on this set up i've got a 4kg baitcaster with 10lb fireline and i'm thinking of putting a 30 to 40lb leader on it.

would this be alright for jacks??

Mark

Far_Canal

With that rig you CAN catch jack, but you will have to be pretty careful if you get a decent hook up. its mainly having a rod that doesnt give to much to the jack to let him run back into his home.

Im gettin my new outfit on wednesday, 12-14lb 6 ft daiwa heartland with a daiwa laguna reel, spoolin 14lb fireline and around 30-50lb leader.

Hang on, where abouts are you chasing the jacks ?

i know of a good cod hole in the Nerang river that i've pulled a few jacks from before. using my mates rod.

i should be getting a boat in the next 6 wks so i'll be heading back there. and i'm booked in to say a wk over xmas at burrum heads, and i plan on drifting along next to the mangroves casting lures for jacks, so i'll need to be able to pull them out.

bosso

i have a abu garcia 6000 loaded with 20lb fire line on a abu morrum braid classic rod, and a okuma halogen loaded with 30lb fire line, both rigs have a double bimmini twist and have 60lb leader. when i used to fish for jacks in the noosa i used to get blown away on both these outfits, and now in gladstone when i fish for them in the boyne and calliope river i make sure my line is up to scrach and ren new my leader every fortnight and new braid every 6-8 months.
    jacks will run for the sticks at 100 miles an hour so always make sure you take the time to tie your knots properly and dont loose concerntration or you will always loose your fish

cheers

bosso

I've got a abu garcia 5600C4 on a tribute rod loaded with 30 pound braid, and i use a 55 pound leader.

Far_Canal

IM beginning to think 14lb fireline is maybe living on the edge, maybe i should jack it up to 20lb ? Dont wanna fish too heavy thats all.

Any suggestions ?