Thread: Plaited Braid to make a double

Plaited Braid to make a double

Has anyone ever used a plaited/braided knot also known as a plaited splice in braid to form a double/loop? Although I have seen a plaited/braided knot used to join 2 pieces of line, I was thinking last night that it could be easily used to make a nice double/loop.

So from this:
    You say fish, I say yes please.

Re: Plaited Braid to make a double

To this:

Apologies for the quality of pictures, a cut and paste job but you get the idea.

Any comments on how strong you think this would be?

I do all my doubles like that as I cant get my head around the bimini twist, never had 1 let go when fishing but had some trouble with some eariler ones while practicing.
    cheers
    blaze

I can't seem to get the start tight enough in braid no mater what I do the first half inch or so always snakes down a bit and threatens to bunch,don't have any dramas plating in mono just braid,as for the strength,in mono it suposed to retain 100% strength.

So pretty much I have re-invented the wheel [smiley=cheesy.gif] nice to know something I thought of has been tried and tested before.

Well at least is nice to know my head isn't full of crazy ideas after all

Although if I could have found a picture of the plaited loop, I wouldn't have had to spend so much time making ones up of my own

westie

Bimini Twist quick and easy and 100% like the Plat
    Easy Now I have Jeff Willsons DVD Great Investment and the Tony Jones Leader Knot off the Bimini still retains 100%

Totally agree with Westie, never had either knot let go. I use a 70 twist bimmini though

A 70 Twist how long is your leader, damn 70 twists

biminimimniniminimimininiminiminimi twist is definately the way to go!

Depends what im fishing for . Jigging bimmini about 2 feet, leader about 3 meters

A bimini is much easier to tie in a rocking boat at sea then a plait and I would say a fair bit quicker to tie as well. The only problems I have had is with the albright join. I have had it let go under a solid fish, but this was early in my time using it as a joiner and it may have been my skills that were deficient.

I can't see the advantage in using a plaited joiner as the idea of joining leader to a double is to retain line strength all through the tackle. By tying the double to the leader you are doubling the strength of the knot and unless it is a very weak knot it will always result in a knot breaking strain greater then you line strength. e.g. if you are fishing 20lb test, the double equats to 40lb and if your knot strength is 90% then your would be rated at 40 X 90% = 36lb. Therefore your tackle never falls under your line strength of 20lb. With the plait if it doesn't retain 100% then you get a weak link in your terminal tackle.

Latest news - to get my plaiting skills developed I have gone and plaited up a few mono shock leaders using 20lb line, making 50-60lb leaders. I also made a loop at each end so I can just connect them up to my line in quick fashion. I found it to be a meditating experience lol. Plus people seem to leave me alone which is a bonus, but the phone for some reason does tend to ring!

I had a go with the braid line and it is a whole different story. It sure does behave in a wiley way.