Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best quality mono

Best quality mono

What is the best quality mono you can buy locally? I've been told some of the Japanese made stuff you see in local tackle stores is good. Hit me with some brands!

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Re: Best quality mono

platypus platinum. great stuff - strong, thin diameter, low stretch. Good for leaders too.

cheers,

steve

I use Platypus Platinum & Shogun mainly also used to like Schneider. A French brand Water Queen was quite good but I dont think its available anymore.

James

platinum all the way [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

For game fishing Stren Tournament.

chanquetas

What about for say 100lb handline? Would you still go the Platypus or is this overkill?

I try and use Platypus Platinum where ever possible. But then a member recommended Platypus Super 100 to me, which is about 25% thinner than Platinum.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chanquetas
    What about for say 100lb handline? Would you still go the Platypus or is this overkill?
    schneider all the way for handlines

Platypus.... Platinum or super 100
    or as as Moffy said for hand lines 100 lb ya can't go past schneider.

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Stren Tournament in hi vis gold. The stuff is really easy to see in the water for the driver, low stretch, good abrasion resistance and knot strength and reliably breaks just under the rating.
    It may cost a bit more, but lasts way longer and is simply awesome.

CJ

Good thread
    Thanks
    rando

I use to use platinum and super 100, but have trouble with knots in the 6 - 10lb range. They keep breaking when I tighten them up. I use uni knots. I was using penn 10x as leader on my braid rigs so decided to give that a go in the 6lb class on one of my mono spooled reels. The knot problem I had is now gone. Seems pretty soft as well.

On the weekend I tried out berkley vanish in the 12lb class on a mono spooled reel. Interesting that I had a bit of trouble with tightenning knots a couple of times. I also do not like the way it comes off the spool. Seems to twist a lot.

I think I will go back to pen 10x next time. Maybe just use the vanish as leader on my braid rigs.

Cheech

super 100 or shogun

platil strong

I like the Super 100. More on the reel is good for me.