Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best quality mono

adriancorrea

Re: Best quality mono

Quote Originally Posted by Snappyone
    Just wondering if anyone has used lure line and if so what is it like.
    Does that mean no has used it or no one has anything to say about it?

Tight Lines
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Mick81
    This probably sounds stupid but.... i have been fishing for a long time now and i hear that you can't spool mono on with a pencil through the roll trick, so..... what is the best way to spool mono?
    Jeremy87, I think you'd better elaborate on what you said here. I see no problem spooling mono on to threadline reels by sticking a rod through the spool of line. There is no twist in the line on the spool and that is how you want it to be when it comes off the reel.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I have also found that trying to spool mono on a threadline with line coming off the spool with a "pencil like device" (spool turning around) results in a lot of line twist and a lot of problems later.

What I do is still use a fixing device but have the line go off the spool like a lone would go off the threadline that is spool fixed and not turning line coming out off the side in coils. This reduces the problem but some twist is still generated due to differnce is spool diameters between the reel and filler spool. This issue I solve by turning the filler spool over to have the line go over the other side. When it starts twisting turn it over again.

The other way is to put the reel spool on a lathe, run the line through a wet towel fixed in a vice to ensure some tension, the filler spool rotates around the "pencil" and no twist whatsoever is transferred on the reel line.
    (I use a piece of wire with an eye at the end to lay line evenly on the reel spool).

BTW this is the best way to spool braid on e threadline as you can spool it really tight.

well, well, well there you go, that is the first time of heard of this. I havn't had trouble with the line twisting, by using the ol pencil trick with slightly applied pressure. Who says you don't learn something new everyday Well if i get in the mood i might try it your way szopen.. one day .

Schneider good for main line and paternoster rigs.
    Shogun good for trace and floating