Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best quality mono

Re: Best quality mono

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    On the weekend I tried out berkley vanish in the 12lb class on a mono spooled reel. Interesting that I had a bit of trouble with tightenning knots a couple of times. I also do not like the way it comes off the spool. Seems to twist a lot.

Cheech
    Line twist is probably due to the way the line was initially spooled, mono in general has more memory than braid and can't be spooled on a threadline by sticking a pencil straight through the roll. A bit of spit or water on knots helps them slide and therefore tighten more easily and break less often when tieing.

yo-zuri hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87
    [quote author=Cheech link=1128059275/0#11 date=1128314999]
    On the weekend I tried out berkley vanish in the 12lb class on a mono spooled reel. Interesting that I had a bit of trouble with tightenning knots a couple of times. I also do not like the way it comes off the spool. Seems to twist a lot.

Cheech
    Line twist is probably due to the way the line was initially spooled, mono in general has more memory than braid and can't be spooled on a threadline by sticking a pencil straight through the roll. A bit of spit or water on knots helps them slide and therefore tighten more easily and break less often when tieing. [/quote]

I think we might've fixed his problems last night...

Jeremy87, I spooled it on right, and always wet the knots etc. Do not know why it happens with some brands and not others. But now for a question.....

This is either going to make me look like a wally,,,, or someone else. I fully spooled up with the Vanish flurocarbon on a spool that I normally would rig mono on, but last night I was told that you cannot use it as a main line and can only use it as a leader. As I mostly use braid, I did not know this about flurocarbon.

Is it true?

I use the Shogun Pro-Red in 35lb, 45lb and 55lb for offshore fishing; it's tuff, it's thin, it ties well, it has very good abrasion resistance and it's priced well. I used to use Schneider, but it's just too thick, although I do like the Cherry Schneider in 18lb and 22lb for chasing Bay Snapper, because it's as good as the old Schneider, only it's cherry red in colour and has a thinner diametre. And, I'm giving the new Surecatch High Tensile line in 30lb a shot. It looks good and is quite well-priced.

Cheers,
    NICK.

Cheech, # #Your getting paid way tooooo much if you can afford to spool a reel with fluro #

I only use it for leader. #I'm using Duel Fluro and it is thicker for the line class and much stiffer. # The heavier line classes wouldn't even wrap around a spool they are so stiff.

I should say that I have not looked at vanish so can't comment on how that would work.

Cheers,

Mark

i have only just changed to braid but yeah i was using platypus platinum!

This probably sounds stupid but.... i have been fishing for a long time now and i hear that you can't spool mono on with a pencil through the roll trick, so..... what is the best way to spool mono?

Go th Made-in Aussie Platypus! Both the Pink and Pre-Test are exceptional value IMHO, and the Platinum is great if you need extra line capacity, or tough traces! Cheers!

Has anyone used Yamatoyo mono? I saw some in a tackle shop and the guy said it was top quality. It was called "The Lureman" by Yamatoyo.

adriancorrea

Just wondering if anyone has used lure line and if so what is it like.
    LureLine is a specially formulated ultra-low stretch copolymer with a pliable inner core and annealed exterior that provides extreme abrasion resistance. As a sister product to Bionic Braid, LureLine fills the gap where braids fail - namely roughhouse fishing around rocks.
    It can be purchased from here on ausfish.

Tight Lines
    Adrian

Platypus platnum is what i use for mono fill under the braid..Makes a top leader as well and is well priced....

For my money its Maxima ultragreen all the way for baitcasters and spinners.

Jack

NeilD

I like Penn 10X as well as Platinum and super 100. The Berkley Vanish Flurocarbon is a line rather than a leader and is a lot cheaper than their leader material.

Neil

I bought a second hand baitcaster spooled with vanish, but I have found it difficult to use, to much memory in the line and lots over overuns. Ive just replaced it with fireline and put the vanish away for leaders.
    I had considered using vanish on a TSS , i bought but thought better of it after failing to come to grips with it on the overhead.
    Seems like platinum or super 100 is the line of choice. Ill give it a try
    rando