Thread: Braid to terminal tackle - what knot??

Braid to terminal tackle - what knot??

soz guys, got another one id like ur opinions on what knots u use to tie braid to terminal tacke, eg swivels etc. i know that berkley recommends the palomer knot, but didnt think this was as strong as the locked half blood knot? what do u use. am using 50lb braid.
    cheers

Re: Braid to terminal tackle - what knot??

I tie a uni knot with double the turns. Haven't had a knot fail yet on 30lb Gorilla braid.

Brian

Try the bimany twist knot as I use it for my braid and it never comes undone. Also it is a 100% knot
    cheers Payney

The palomar is fine I have used it for years on terminal tackle and it has never let me down, also seems to work just as well on all types of braid and is good on mono.

I use uni knot with 7-8 turns.

I use PowerPro braid in 30lb and 50lb. The braid manufacturer recomends the Palomar knot as easier to tie and uni knot as stronger one.

Maybe something is not quite right with me but I find it much easier to tie the uni knot.

Commodore

I use the bimany twist with a cats paw to the terminal tackle, using 50lbs braid, never failed me yet.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I'll probably get caned for this, but I tie a short double using a spider hitch and then tie the swivel on with a locked half blood knot. 50 pound braid and haven't had one come undone or snap yet (and yes they've been tested on some pretty big fish).

cheers,

steve

i usually just tie a locked half blood knot with the braid doubled over (i.e no knot to form the double, just double the line over) - biggest workout has been pulling sizeable reds up from 210 feet on 30lb Bionic Braid - didn't retie the knot all night and it was fine.

have no problem with this knot on 20lb BB on the baitcaster either.

That palomar knot is the recommended one but i agree with szopen! The uni knot with the few extra twists is #the way to go...and very basic to do aswell #