wiseguy67

Re: Old gear.

splitcane 7

wiseguy67

splitcane 8

wiseguy67

The Richard Walker is a example of the finest craftsmans work with cane. To handle the rod is awesome, I fished a lot for trout in canada and to use such a rod would make shivers run down a grown mans back in regards to its sensitivity, I presume the maker designed it to relay the lightest movement as well as handle the largest fish. The carp they caught with these rods were in the double digit range I think the largest was around 50lbs.... for such a light rod its hard to imagine but then thats where cane and miles of wrapping come into play; the rod has wrapping right from the base to the tip. AWESOME.

Certainly brings back some memories of fishing the Murray River in South Aust as a kid some of that gear. The shakephere rod ,pre rigged corks and the old centrepin type bakerlite reels...Top gear collection there fella's......Cheers Smithy...

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Beautiful old gear. I would love some of that stuff! Probably can't afford it at the moment though.........but when we get the new house and the pool room...........................................

Dave

wiseguy67

zedjack

think the wire spoked affair was a line drier for either fly line or cuttyhunk [cord]

I'm old enough to have used some of that gear the bamboo [used to get a set in it] rods were common, and split cane rods were top of the line

looking at it now Ijust shake my head

Cheers mate
    Regards

Richo

Quote Originally Posted by zedjack33
    Had this set up given to me aaaaalllooooongg #time ago. Line is connected to the centre, the arms all have hooks braised to them and all can pivot up to the centre. I have no idea what this was used for. Anyone have a guess?
    Its a gaff.

Cheers
    James