Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Dropshot rods?

Berkley Dropshot rods?

I just bought myself a 7' 1-3Kg rod for Bream/Bass work. At $90 or there abouts its a nice looking rod and paired up with a Shimano Symetre 2500 its a nice little combo.
    Anyone else out there using these rods? What do you think of them?
    Shane

Re: Berkley Dropshot rods?

I have a berkley overhead rob but am yet to catch a fish with it so i don't know how it handles.

I have looked at the drop shot rods and thought that they should do the job seeing as they are made by one of the big SP maunfacturers

Let us know how it goes.

Far_Canal

I have one, its the 7 ft aswell. Good rod for the price, personally i like my flueger trion better, just feels lighter than the drop shot.

The trions are a great rod for about the same price. Both have good quality components.
    Just one observation is that the dropshot rods appear to have a very thin walled blank.

Yeah I like my Loomis better but at $500 compared to $90 you would want it to be
    Shane

shoulda got a SicStik

Quote Originally Posted by NeMo84
    shoulda got a SicStik
    Maybe next time

What are they? Who makes them?
    Shane

And more to the point... are they $90?

The sics I have seen are more than that I am sure.

What are they worth? Can I get a 2 piece?

aquarius

Sic Stiks are made by Strudwick........7' 2-4 kilo is a nice rod.
    I bought one then had it stolen........must be good.
    Cheers Brent.

yeh i use the 7ft 2-4kg as well and i love it, i prefer the one piece but yes u can get 2 piece rods, when i bought mine it was $99 on special, the tag said $169 but i reckon u can get em for about 130 now i think...Carlos

ive been using a shakespeare catera 2-4 kg rod. its im8 (the toughest composite) and cost around $85-90 its one piece, but its brilliant. i caught a 1.5 kg kingie on it off the rocks at noosa np with 3kg line. it performed well, its matched to a laguna 2000.
    cheers

I've got a 6'6" Berkley Drop Shot (2 piece 2-4kg) matched with a 1000 size cheap Jarvis Walker reel. This is my number one plastics rod! It runs 4lb fireline with a 6lb Vanish leader, and has caught loads of fish.

I also have a 7' Catera Rod (2 piece 2-4kg) matched with a Shimano 2500 reel. This is used for plastics out in the bay. It runs 6lb fireline with a 10/12lb mono leader, and has also caught some good fish.

Most rods around the $90-$130 mark seem to be about the same quality. It just depends on what your personal tastes are... The Berkley rod is a bit whippier in the tip than the Catera for example.... Just take a reel with you (or use one of theres) and see if you like the feel of it. Remember to make sure it is balanced!!!

By the way:-

* Longer rods (ie 7'- 7'6") will let you cast light weights further and steer fish better...

* Shorter rods (ie Up to 7') will be easier in snaggier areas, and cast more accurately...

Quote Originally Posted by land-lubber
    ive been using a shakespeare catera 2-3 kg rod. its im8 (the toughest composite) and cost around $85-90 its one piece, but its brilliant. i caught a 1.5 kg kingie on it off the rocks at noosa np with 3kg line. it performed well, its matched to a laguna 2000.
    cheers
    The toughest compostite?
    im8 is a rating of the graphite modulus ie how stiff it is. Rods are rated either sm, im or hm. The numbers give a grading of were it lies in that group. As the blank becomes stiffer it becomes more brittle, brittle materials are less tough. So a sm blank is tougher than an im blank etc. We actually had a bad run with catera rods at work where the guide feet kept cutting into the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87
    [quote author=land-lubber link=1128932606/0#10 date=1129071769]ive been using a shakespeare catera 2-3 kg rod. its im8 (the toughest composite) and cost around $85-90 its one piece, but its brilliant. i caught a 1.5 kg kingie on it off the rocks at noosa np with 3kg line. it performed well, its matched to a laguna 2000.
    cheers
    The toughest compostite?
    im8 is a rating of the graphite modulus ie how stiff it is. Rods are rated either sm, im or hm. The numbers give a grading of were it lies in that group. As the blank becomes stiffer it becomes more brittle, brittle materials are less tough. So a sm blank is tougher than an im blank etc. We actually had a bad run with catera rods at work where the guide feet kept cutting into the blanks.[/quote]

soz, not meaning toughest as in brittleness. ment guts in the rod, if u know what i mean? has more 'guts' in the ower section of the rod than im6or7 for example. what problems did u have exactly, havnt had a problem with mine. has performed really well actually.
    cheers