Thread: Pflueger Overhead reels...

Pflueger Overhead reels...

...are they any good?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Pflueger Overhead reels...

What size are you looking at? I'd still probably suggest sticking to a Shimano TLD (If your looking that big), or a Daiwa or something similar if you looking at smaller...

Pfluegar is made by Shaekspeare I think, and while they make some ok stuff, I don't think they are leading the market with their gear... But like anything I guess, if you look after it, it should keep going for a while.

It will just never be as schmick as the good quality ones (Drags won't be as smooth, won't be as rust resistant, etc, etc)

Thanks Dan,

You won't be getting a turn of my new one then

No seriously, I was in Mossops and they picked it for me - I told them the rod I was putting it on, explained that I didn't think it was a particularly expensive rod and didn't want to spend the earth on putting a really good real on an average rod.

Seems they've made the right choice. It'll get me going on the bottom-bashing and trolling work until I save up for some decent stuff.

Mike

I have one of their overheads. Nice and smooth, good drag & a comfort handle.

Certainly as good as a TLD20 or Penn 245LD.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

yea my uncle has a pflueger overhead.that i have used a fair bit.
    seems a great reel to me for a good price, does the job well
    no complaints here
    it should serve you well

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I have one of their overheads. Nice and smooth, good drag & a comfort handle.

Certainly as good as a TLD20 or Penn 245LD.
    Geez, that's good to hear - Mine cost less than a TLD, and yer man at Mossop's spooled it with 30lb mono and set the drag up for me.

I'm a happy man [smiley=happy2.gif]

Thanks Heath.

Mike

bidkev

Back in the 60's (UK) when Penn had the monopoly on "multiplier reels" as they were known then, Pfleuger bit heavily into their share of the market and their reels were considered top notch.

They seemed to have dissapeared off the market but have made a minor recovery in the last few years. Dunno if they've kept up with the competition though.

cheers

kev

most pflueger reels are made for fresh water.
    i have a pflueger trion $379 and ive done the bearings twice.
    salt in the bears and there roooooted.
    but have stuffed around with it and upgraded the bearings to saltwater grade bearings and now its fine.
    casts great just have to play with the drag now need more power.
    Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

Was down in Melbourne this year for the boating and fishing expo, and what surprised me was that there was hardly any Shimano's. Did not see one tld. But there were a heap of Pfluegers.