Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need #A Rock Fishing Rod and Reel about $300

Need #A Rock Fishing Rod and Reel about $300

My missus told me today I can spend about $300 on a Rod and Reel to go Rockfishing off Double Island Point with . #As I have never been Rockfishing I don't really know what I am looking for. #I am guessing I would be chasing Reef Fish and Mackeral.

If anyone could recommend a good outfit for around this price it would be a great help. #I also need to know what lb line and rod I would be looking at, and how long the rod should approximately be? #Is it better to fish with Mono or Braid for Rock fishing? #Sorry about this topic being similar to my other post but thought I would get more ideas with this starting a new topic. #Sorry about all the questions ?

Mark

Re: Need #A Rock Fishing Rod and Reel about $300

Reel wise, ur probably best to go with a shimano baitrunner. they are versitial, in that u can use them for spinning lures or baitfishing, and they are as tought as guts. u canalso use them on shorter rods if u want to use it in the boat as well. my uncle has three of them, and he cant kill em, hes hooked some big mothers too off the rocks. probly want to use 25-30lb line if after the bigger boys.
    that is if ur not an alvey diehard i just prefer eggbeaters for thier versatility, esp when i have to use it for various fishing applications and can only have so much gear (damn student budget)

I was looking at getting a good Eggbeater reel . No offence to the Alvey Reel users but I just prefer the eggbeater reels.

Alvey all the way,huge line capacity,cast a good distance and virtualy indestructable, top of the line 6 1/2 inch model will set you back about $165 through to entry level 6 1/2 inch about $100,spool it with Schnieder Klearline in a breaking strain to suit what your chasing,and team it up with a 12 foot Wilson multi taper rod to suit your needs and you should come in around budget.Keep in mind there are more people lost chasing fish off the rocks than any other activity,be aware of what the weather and tides are doing before heading out and it also pays to sit and watch for a while before taking up your spot.

Eggbeaters aren't even close to a rockfishing reel, only Alvey gives you direct line contact and 1 to 1 winding ability. You'll quickly learn you need those capabilities when you try to hold a good fish for the gaff, or lift your average tailor etc onto your ledge without slippage.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

i'm with banshee & JsT an alvey 650 direct wind. You need the torque to lift a fish. You need contact with the line to feel what's going on under the suds, you need to be able to give & take line with the surge & have a reel that LOVES SALT WATER. You need to be able to lock up to stop runs into the rock then immediately give line to let them run away.

You want 18-22lb line on it & make sure the rod is made for an alvey with a low reel seat & big first runner.

With an Alvey in hand at the very least you will look like a man #[smiley=cool4.gif] & not a girlie #[smiley=gorgeous.gif].

If you wish to be a girlie #[smiley=gorgeous.gif] & are willing to listen to the sniggering, taunting remarks & wolfwhistles behind your back, then get a TSS4. It at least is rugged, reasonably well sealed & has drag washers that will cope with being locked up. It also will be useful for high speed chrome work for tailor.

seeyainthesurf,
    chris

personally I would spend $100 more & buy a Wilson Live Fibre Trophy 13'6 & the 650BE with the graphite back plate. Then you can have some real fun.

I think one of the guys on the boards from the sunnycoast makes rods using the same PC blank for cheaper than you can retail a wilson.

below see alveys best suited from most expensive (black) to least.

Re: Need  A Rock Fishing Rod and Reel about $

eggbeaters! no way. if you want to spin for mackerel and tuna get a speedmasterIV overhead and an fsu 5wrap around 12'6" using a 2oz spinner. only good for casting heavier weights at lest 60gram.
    for bait and casting the kind of distance you need to reach for some LB reefies off DIP, and the fact you will want to beach fish as well, the alvey setup is light years ahead of the rest in its ability to cast light weights great distances.
    you can fish livies with bobby corks for mackerel on the alvey, so i would get the 6.5" A type-
    JUST WISH THEY WHERE STILL FIBREGLASS!
    >
    damon

I think I have found a good combo . #

It consists of a :- Silstar Crystal Powertip 8-10kg (3 meter) Rod
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # #60-100g cast weight (PC-1002RSH)
    # # # # # # # # # # # #
    # # # # # # # # # # # #:- Shimano 4500 Baitrunner

# # # # # # # # # # # #:- Platypus 15kg mono line

I know its an Eggbeater but its just what I prefer. #As I don't go Rock Fishing a lot I thought I would take land_lubbers idea of having a versatile Rod and Reel. #Any thoughts on this combo would be appreciated .

Mark

I think 15 kilo line is to heavey,the rod is rated 8-10,the reel is rated 6 to 10kg and will take 195m of the 10,you will be lucky to get a hundred metres of 15kg on it and I doubt the reel will generate enough drag to get the benifit of the 15,if you go this combo go with 8 kilo line,this will give you a capacity of around 250 metres,and be wary of taking it near the beach.

MODIFIED
    soz, thought u said 15lb not 15 kg., 20lb is probably ur best bet
    yup, sounds good to me, but maybe consider 20lb to be safe in terms of rockfish, tend to abuse the line a fair bit on the old stones. btw, i find the cheaper monos better for abrasion resistance, i use jarvis walker green mono on my rockfishing outfit, heaps cheaper so u can replace it more often. if you want to go for a rock fish at noosa np, id be happy to show u around my spot, just send me a pm
    cheers

Hopfully a picture will appear of what the surf will do to a threadline,this reel is just under two years old and the owner was stuned,he thought he took good care of it.

Another

i have an el cheapo okuma surfcaster pro (or something like that) it cost me 60 bucks and i have had it for three years and it has never let me down, ive used it in every form of fishing, from the rocks and surf to the boat. i service all my reels on a regular basis (6mths) and completely strip them down, takes me 15 min for a basic astrip and regrease. by the looks of that reel, not much was done to it other than the wd40 on the outside. (please dont get me wrong, im not having a go at anyone here, but clearly it is a matter of personal oppinion. i certainly dont resent the guys that use alveys, nor most of them me, i just want to bring up the other side)
    my uncle has had his baitrunner for 7yrs and uses it off the beach and rocks and has never had a problem. in fact, he wont use anything else.
    anyway, thats what i have found from personal experiance, and in terms of a reel that u can use anywhere, ive found a good eggbeater to be the best.
    cheers

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Need #A Rock Fishing Rod and Reel about $

Quote Originally Posted by damons33

.... on the alvey, so i would get the 6.5" A type-
    JUST WISH THEY WHERE STILL FIBREGLASS!
    >
    damon

they still are - most expensive a fifth more in price & almost twice the weight of the option I listed

Hi Mark

I got this outfit there, if you are interest it. I dont need it anymore, because I just bought a Bluefin last week and picking it up today!

There are the details of the outfit:

Shimano Power Aero GT9000 (longcast reel)
    5 ball bearings
    530g
    15kg drag power
    2 speed oscillating system
    SIC big line roller with ball bearing
    2 spools (one with 40lb/250m and another one with 30lb/300m or a bit more)

Shimano Aerocast SP 425BX (3 pieces)
    4.5m in length

This rod can handle 30-40lb without any problem, I bought this outfit from Japan.

I am after $220.

cheers

Kai