Thread: spin reel for swains trip

count_baysea

spin reel for swains trip

Hi guys,
    just wondering if a daiwa capricorn 4500j cut a swains trip for an alround popper/bottom reel for an samurai nv9 rod, or a pen ss/shimano spheros,thunnus etc?
    ta

Re: spin reel for swains trip

STELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

count_baysea

a stella saltiga van stahl or ryobi would be my first choice if i win the lotto. out of the $$$ range now though. Something decent mid range $350??

spheros 14000 feels nice for the dollars

I personally wouldn't use a spin reel out at Swains for bottom fishing there's some big Muthas out there # but if you do 30lb would be the lightest i'd be fishing with. #

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Penn Spinfisher! Probably a 750 with 50 pound braid. Light enough to cast lures in the shallow bommies and heavy enough to fish baits in lagoons. They're very tuff reels for the money.

cheers,

steve

I have the 4500J myself rigged with 30lb Bionic Braid over a Shimano T-Curve Deep Jig 200 spin rod. Haven't really used it for shallow water bottom fishing yet - but it was the ducks n^ts when i used it in 200+ feet on some big reds a few months ago.

great smooth drag and plenty of power over that rod - 30lb was heaps in that situation. Landed quite a few reds up to around 7.5 kilos no problem at all - was great fun.

in shallow more reefy country, i think you'd want 50lb braid minimum though.

One negative is that, even though i spooled the braid on as tight as i could initially, i couldn't quite get a full 300m of the 30lb bionic braid on. The claimed spool capacity is for much more than that in terms of braid and i understand Bionic braid to be fairly thin. so will depend on what sort of line capacity you are after whether the 4500J will suit you or not, particularly if you run 50lb braid.

I love it myself, despite the less than expected capacity. That said I am looking at the Daiwa saltists for similar sorts of uses (poppering, jigging, bottom fishing etc) - i think one of these would be the go for the heavier line classes (given the saltiga's etc are a bit out of budget.)

Moffy

Go the Penn Spinfisher... relatively cheap, decent drag out of the box, almost as unbreakable as an alvey (well that maybe going to far). I don't have one myself but dad has 2, we have dragged some big fish up from deep with them. He dragged up a Cobia over 5 foot long once and I went to gaff it and cut the line with the gaff (Dad didn't talk to me for a week). Anyway these reels are awesome for the price his have never missed a beat. I can't say the same about my shimano's or my Okuma's although they are pretty good reels also. However I am about to get a van staal (the family is buying it for me as a christmas pressie) and will let you know how that goes

For the purpose youve stated id agree and say the spinfisher, it might not be as smooth or as light as some reels but spooled with heavy line it will handle a fair bit of punishment and is good value for money. For casting poppers and a bit of bottom work it'll do the job...

count_baysea

Thanks for the info guys
    jury is still out as i like the extra spool of the 4500j as the reel, may be more versitile for other lighter spin rods that i have, Does the pennsand shimanos have a spare spool??. I have a overhead with 50pd for the big stuff just looking at a lighter option for spin.
    Moffy do you think it will pull the 9kg of drag stated for the 4500j and what jig weight were you fishing.
    thanks again