Thread: transporting 2pc rod

transporting 2pc rod

Any ideas on how I can safely transport a 2pce rod on a flight. I will take the reel off but need need a tube about 2" across and 1 metre long. Preferably ready-made.

Re: transporting 2pc rod

I got my ol lady to make me some sleeves for my 2pc rods. Down the middle they are divided so that the 2 pieces cant damaged each other.
    I then went to the local sports shop and bought a rod tube to suit(I think a Javis Walker). Easy
    Shane

A rod tube is good, but any piece of PVC piping will do as long as it has caps for the ends. Should be able to get these at any hardware place fairly cheaply.

Use a strip of foam the same length as the tube, and jam it in in a "S" shape. This will make two compartments in the tube (one for each piece of the rod). This will protect the rod pieces from touching one another or the tubing. If you can't find some suitable foam from Clark Rubber or the like, take a Stanley knife to one of those insulted bed-rolls from a camping store.

Jeez, that sounds like a top idea, I might try it myself for the "backup" rods that live on the boat.

Hope it works...

good luck,
    Mike

14Cookie,
    Welcome to the site. Always nice to have some more girls on board.
    All depends on how much you want to spend ... you get what you pay for. I travel a bit with rods and let me tell you, no airlines handle them with care so don't worry about buying FRAGILE stickers!!! >
    You can get cheap tubes from K - m a r t for like $15, these are 4ft in length and have a cap at either end. Very light weight and simple. Wrap the rod pieces up in a towel or use foam (as suggested by 2iar). This should see the rods arrive safely.
    Alternatively, PLANO make a great rod case. It's extendable (to 8ft), extremely strong, key lockable and can fit several rods securily. However these retail for $115 (altho Glenn at Springwood marine offered me one for about $90 but that's still 6 times more than the el cheapos from Jarvis Walker and Seahorse.
    Check ebay, as I've seen them on there as well and sometimes they go quite cheap.
    Good luck, hope your rod survives and you get to have a fish.
    Regards,
    Herby

The best way to transport rods as said is a rod tube for sure.

After having two fly rods broken in transport I wouldn't ever carry a rod not in a tube again. I looked at making one out of PVC but in the end the cost wasn't going to be that much cheaper and the effort alot more than just buying one. I got a good one that is padded, has multiple compartments and holds quite a few rods for about $50.

If you want any more info send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Peter

hi Cookie,
    have a look at the Jarvis Walker ones http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/ (you will need to download the catalogue) 4' model rec retail $25.95, hardly worth making your own at that price. i have a 7'version & it works fine.
    you could give the a call or email for closest seller.
    cheers

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Peter, unfortunately I can't do PMs until 10 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by 14COOKIE
    Thanks for all your advice guys.

Peter, unfortunately I can't do PMs until 10 posts.
    go into the reports & do a few 'nice fish' 'got any pics' etc. etc. ( insert smiley of choice here)