Thread: Geoff Wilson Surf Popper Rig

Geoff Wilson Surf Popper Rig

Has anyone used this rig. I picked one up a week ago at Kmart and just had a look at it
    swivel one end , snap clip the other, two twisted droppers one with a 3x3/0 gang one with a surf popper fly.
    what goes on the clip??? logic says a slug/slice, is that how I should rig it.
    The rig would then be a popper, a bait on gangs, a slug can anyone give me the good oil on this rig???
    rando

Re: Geoff Wilson Surf Popper Rig

Heya Rando

Hmmm haven't actually seen the rig you are talking about but sounds weird to me. The gang could live happily with a popper but a slice would would either be acting as a sinker or fishing at speed it would just end up in a big mess.

If I had to guess I would say a quick change sinker would go on the snap. A large sinker would keep the gang off the bottom but pull the popper sub surface which no longer makes it a popper in my opinion, while a light sinker might allow the popper some action on top while keeping the bait just below the surface. Mix and match to see what depth the fish are working?

I'd be interested in hearing from someone that has used them sucessfully myself, can see some possibilities but am only guessing on how they are supposed to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by rando
    Has anyone used this rig. I picked one up a week ago at Kmart and just had a look at it
    swivel one end , snap clip the other, two twisted droppers one with a 3x3/0 gang one with a surf popper fly.
    what goes on the clip??? logic says a slug/slice, is that how I should rig it.
    The rig would then be a popper, a bait on gangs, a slug can anyone give me the good oil on this rig???
    rando
    The rig is designed to be used with a sinker. Star sinkers are easily clipped on. I have used the ring to catch mulloway.

Geraldton
    how does the popper work with a sinker , must be a pretty fast retrieve other wise it wont get up on the surface. Do you just crank it,,, or try to impart some action on the popper :ie rips and pauses???
    Straddie
    you and I are thinking along the same lines , big sinker negates the popper,,, light sinker no distance especially towing all the gear through the air, 40/50 gm raider might make an interesting rig, should be renamed smorgasboard

I bought one as well, clipped a star sinker to the bottom clip, put on a pillie and chucked it out in the Noosa National Park. Second or third cast brought in a FAT 64cm flattie. It took the pillie, but the popper could have got its attention.

I later bought some surf poppers on Ebay to make up my own rigs. They basically wash around in the water action without a fast retirieve. I believe that when salmon are running (which they did in Qld this year) they tend to go for the popper first.

Quote Originally Posted by rando
    Geraldton
    how does the popper work with a sinker , must be a pretty fast retrieve other wise it wont get up on the surface. Do you just crank it,,, or try to impart some action on the popper :ie rips and pauses???
    Straddie
    you and I are thinking along the same lines , big sinker negates the popper,,, light sinker no distance especially towing all the gear through the air, 40/50 gm raider might make an interesting rig, should be renamed smorgasboard

To my mind its not meant to be retrieved. Use it like any surf mulloway or tailor rig. The popper or lure floats around as an alternative to the bait.

I bought mine from Kmart. I haven't seen this rig used much in WA.

Yes thats what I was trying to say......while it is called a "popper" it absoluetly nothing like a surface popper that we all have in our tackle boxes.

These things should more correctly be called "surf flies"

No retrieve action, or very slight to keep the bait on the gangs moving, is all that is required

Fish2eat "surf flies" makes a lot more sense to me. Sit them and let the surf action do the work or very slow retrieve.

I guess if you were wanting more action then take the gang off and work the pop/fly with a raider "chasing" it. Might work, might not, one of those ya have to give it try things.

Wouldn't work the 3 together though if it was me, I hate untangling line.

I saw a bloke on the tweed wall casting a raider with a fly on a dropper up the line, he reaconed it was a deadly rig, but it was a normal fly not a popper style fly.
    Thats what had me baffled about the "Wilson" rig, if it had been a normal fly, no problem, the popper had me guessing!!!
    Thanks guys for your advise.
    rando