Thread: Getting into SPs - Rig ideas?

Getting into SPs - Rig ideas?

Hi All,
    I'm looking at getting into throwing some SPs around.
    Looking to target bream and flatheads
    Just wondering if anyone could suggest a good reel and rod combo for around $200 ??

Thanks in advance,
    Steven

Re: Getting into SPs - Rig ideas?

Hi Steven,

Firstly go for a graphite rod as they are nice and light and your arm won't feel like it is about to fall off after casting it all day. I like Sic Sticks personally and you can get them for as cheap as $70 when a certain store that can't be named on this site has them on special. I have heard of a few reports of these rods busting but most of them seem to be angler error - you can't treat a graphite rod as rough as a fibreglass ones. Match this with a good eggbeater reel and spool it up with some decent braid go light 2 - 4kgs as most of the stuff breaks at much higher weights than the stated breaking strain.

Good luck with the SP's

For $200, i am using a Steve Starling 2-4kg Squidgy spin, you could also go an Shimano Ian Miller Raider and there is a few good Penn rods that will suit the budget all around $100 and all graphite. Then for a reel go a Shimano Symetre or for something cheaper a Shimano Aernos in 2500 size. Then go for prob 6lb braid of some sort. You really need $200-$250 to include braid but if you go one of the listed rods and a shimano aernos with braid you could do it for under $200. Make sure you shop somewhere cheap like BCF or www.##################.com or you pay quite a bit more.

Thanks for the replies guys,will check those ones out, just need to sell my ipod now !!!

BCF has Berkely Drop Shots at $79.

Definitely go graphite though whatever you choose, just don't high-stick 'em.

Get the most epensive eggbeater that suits your budget.

Whack on 4 - 8 lb Fireline with a flouro leader and use the lightest jigheads you can.

Good luck,
    Mike

I use Shimano Sienna 2500FB reel with 7ft Shimano Superstick which i got in combo for $129 which i got Anglers Warehouse @ Tweed heads matched up with some 6lb fireline & a 10lb leader..

It works a treat on the Species you are looking to target!