Thread: Making ur own rods..??

Making ur own rods..??

Just curious how many of u make up ur own rods..??
    Also any suggestions of any good reading material or DVD's showing the art of making ur own rods...??

Anyone

Re: Making ur own rods..??

pm to roz or volvo
    cheers
    blaze
    seen some of roz's work and its fantasic and she credits volvo for his help

retiredandfishing

look in roz's finished rod post. very nice work and there is a couple of book titles thrown in to boot.

Making your own rods is cool folks. very cool.

Geez Blaze,

She'll get a swelled head.

TOL

Quote:

"An error gracefully acknowledged is a victory won"anon.

Sorry Kev.

count_baysea

Hi masterdusky.
    If your brizzy based try your local library and do a search. you should find a heap of info. Most fishing mags will have a rod crafter section. Old qfm mags will find rod builders corner, and ian miller has the aust rod crafter mag and DVD. Email him for details.
    Its a great hobby but it is verrrry addictive.
    Good luck

Hi Masterdusky,

Ifyou can get your hands on any of Dale P. Clemens books on rod building, would be useful.

As already mentioned you could get in touch with DR or Volvo I am sure they would be happy to help. I could probably answer specific questions on rod building, I am still a novice at butt wraps though. PM me or ask me in tackle and accessories

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I found this TV show very helpful despite it being a typical "yank" show. It's over two parts and they are about 145Mb each. Right click -> save as.

http://www.thefishingline.com/videos...ldingPart1.wmv

http://www.thefishingline.com/videos...ldingPart2.wmv

Myself...
    Been there, done that ... to a fashion. A friend in the tackle industry bought a Sneiderglass blank at wholesale price for me, and we under and overbound the runners beautifully because his Dad had all the stuff including the thingy that slowly turns the rod like a barbeque chook to prevent the varnish from becoming a blob on the bottom. I think it cost about $80.00 for a $120.00 rod equivalent in the shops, but these days I seriously doubt I could do it that cheaply without all the tackle Industry contacts I used to have back then. Also mass produced rods seem to have come down in price, so if I am in the market for one, I know what to look for including the right placement of the rod guides according to the rod's backbone. Anyone want rod lathe feet? I have three you can have for free!

Scalem

"Anyone want rod lathe feet? #I have three you can have for free! "

I'll give them a good home.

Regards #

Tony

Masterdusky,

I can't (for the moment ) answer your PM, ,,,it's the competuer I am on, I will be back home in a week or so , or if I can access ausfish from another pc in the meantime.

roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Made my 2 main surf rods up from Butterworth blanks 30 odd years ago, when I was into school fishing competitions.

Just about to rebuild the 10foot one, the original binding has started to unravel. Have given me excellent service, and the action of both rods leaves "shop bought" ones for dead. (Well at least the ones I might be willing to part with dollars for, I am a cheap skate!)

I have made 2 rods over the years and rebound all of the ones I own. The biggest challenge will be restoring an old rangoon cane rod and a couple of the old heavy yellow fibreglass rods with the hard coloured grips and turned wooden butts.
    One rod was from a #graphite second I bought ata #tackle shop in Annerly in '84. Light 10'6'' surf/estury rod. It's great for any estury species and excellent for lure fishing too with the light tip.
    The other is a chain store 13'6'' rod I got given as a fell off a car job. The top section was cactus from landing on the bitumen and I bought a n 8' section of 2 wrap light action glass form a friend who runs a tackle shop in Seven Hills and built a 2 piece surf rod with the best action I have used. Strong and heavy butt with a light/medium action that will cast pillies, unweighted bait and even heavy lures as far as you want.
    The thrill from catching a fish on a rod you built yourself is unmatchable in fishing. The satisfaction is great.
    I will hopefully be attacking another build soon.

Tony,

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you a photo if you are interested.

Scalem

Pay no attention to theoldlegend!!!

roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!