Thread: matching rod to reel?

matching rod to reel?

i have a loomis glx 803 baitcasting rod but cant decide what reel to match it with.to catch cod,barra etc.casting is preffered over trolling.

Re: matching rod to reel?

a shimano calcutta te200 maybe?

if you like the low profile baitcasters go for a shimano curado 200b - great reel and certainly up for the job

With such a top of the line rod , you need a top of the line reel too , my recommendation is either Conquest / Calcutta GT or Antares / Calais .

Myself I use my MBR783-2 with Conquest 201DC and am waiting for the release of Antares DC7L !

JonLi .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .

hey jonli,how do you find the performence of your 201dc?

I would only consider Daiwa Millionaire or Daiwa Luna.

Depending on what you want to spend, they range from about $350-$650 (australian prices) starting from the bone stock millionaires/lunas to the power drag models.

I just bought myself a Daiwa Millionaire SW203L from Raefpud (he is located in japan) for a heck of a lot cheaper than getting it here ($350 instead of $450-500 that it costs here). I wouldn't even touch calcuttas, i have heard about to many people having corrosion problems etc.

Here is a pic of my reel

Fred ,

I would not use any reel without DC , I have 101DC for my 5'8" rod , 201DC for my 6'6" rod and have put an order for the new Antares DC7 L .

I was an under average caster before using these DC reels but now I am considered to be above average caster with DC reels , I was able to maximise my fishing time without having birdness every once so often when mind lingers uncontrolably while casting .

The best thing to do when choosing the reel is to try somebody else's reel and mount it on your rod , it's more a synergy of the rod , the reel and YOU , to achieve a good accurate casting .

Raefpud is definitely DA MAN to get in touch when you need JDP ( Japanese Domestic Product ) reels , he helped me get something I need .

JonLi .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .