Thread: 13' blue Live Fibre surf rod - tip joined?

13' blue Live Fibre surf rod - tip joined?

I have just bought a factory- built 13' blue Live Fibre low mount beach rod from the Tender Centre, that I may or may not have bid too much on.........................
    About 1 metre from the tip, between the 3rd and 4th runners, is a definite 'join'.
    This rod has a far lighter and faster action than my custom brown 13' Live Fibre I use for jewfishing.
    The tip is much finer, and the whole rod feels much lighter.
    Strangely, this 'join' doesn't detract at all from the rod action, and if it had been slightly better finished, would have been un-noticable.
    What I am wondering is whether anyone is aware of whether on this particular blue 13' blank, a finer tip section is inserted during production, or some similar process is followed?
    Funny thing is tho.......I would have to say this is the best general purpose surf rod I've ever used. Light, can cast light weights a mile, great fun to use, perfect for tailor, very grunty in the lower and lower middle sections. I've even done a bit of surf spinning, casts a lure fantastic!
    Cheers.

Re: 13' blue Live Fibre surf rod - tip joined?

don't know anything about its origin or join, but how much did you pay for it?

Its obviously been christened without any problems, hope it stays together.

Thanks Fish. Payed $144.10 all up, pretty happy with that really. Seen them new in BCF for $229, cheapest price I've found.
    She's not new, but in excellent used condition. I figure it'll hold together, deadlifted 5kg no probs, gives me some confidence. I suspect the join may be in the building process, but would love to know for sure!
    Cheers!

stuart

It's not a join, its the end of the woven carbon cloth. Because the carbon cloth is so thick you can't sand it away with out wrecking the blank at that point so your stuck with a big hump in the blank.

Stuart Mackenzie
    Precision Rods

Thanks for your reply, Stuart. Do you happen to know what the line class is for this particular blank? The tip is pretty fine and I'd hate to break it.

stuart

Not to sure of the line rating, however I wouldnt be fishing to heavy. I would use around 6-8kg tops and keep your cast weights as light as possible.

Stuart Mackenzie
    Precision Rods

Sincere thanks for your reply Stuart, 6 to 8 kilo is what I was guessing. Used 10 kg on it's maiden voyage, handled that fine but don't need or want to fish this rod that heavy, have the heavier 13' Live Fibre blank for 10kg and large baits and big sinkers.
    Cheers and thanks again.
    Nigel.