Thread: Too heavy line for the rod.

Too heavy line for the rod.

Hi All.
    I got a new rod n reel today -'okuma 20l' on 6ft 'SeaEagle'. Im keen to get some bigger fish out wide- wahoo, makceral, dollies etc. The thing is ...i wanted some line about 40lb braid for the set up-but the rod is only 10-15kgs. I was looking for line to get and decided as the only choice at the time was 30lb or 50lb so i thought i would just got 50lbs and obviously have the drag on half stregth or there abouts, i managed to get about 370 metre of 50lb line on there which should do the trick.. In short will it be a problem if i have heavy line on even if the drag is set on half -3/4,
    Cheers.

Re: Too heavy line for the rod.

no problems with the line, but you should get your drag set properly - not just "half - 3/4". Theoretically the drag should be at 1/3 the breaking strain of the line (ie ~15lb or 7kg for 50lb line).

you have to set your drag to suit the line class of the rod, not the line. it does not matter how much heavier the line is, the rod is still only a 10-15kg.
    probably the easiest way to do it is to do up the drag, tie the line off to something solid & put a good working curve in the rod. then start backing the drag off untill it starts to give line, when it does stop pulling on the rod, relax the line & then load it up again & see when it gives line, after a couple of goes when you put a good load on the rod it should give line.
    usual rule of thumb is drag set at 1/3 of breaking stain of line, as stated, but, if you hook a serious fish 7kg of drag on a 10-15kg rod could cause you some problems, it may just collapse under the strain & you will need a trip to the tackle shop for another new one.
    so to be safe i would fish the rods limit not the line.

Braid has caused plenty of problems with line used being heavier than the manufacturer recomendation for the rod.
    If you know what you are doing, you can use heavier line but you cant use the rod as a lever or something is gonna break.
    Like the post above, set the drag for the 1/3 of the recomended weight of the rod, and you should be safe. If you have to set the drag heavier, make sure you use low rod angles and fight the fish with the butt of the rod, when the fish is close to the boat and about to be landed, back the drag off incase the fish runs agains, thats when alot of rods break, the tip is up high and the fish goes under the boat.
    Paul McNaught

Thanks for the replys lads. It all makes sence.
    Cheers.

I have a similar set ups 10kg rods and 50lb braid.

DR method is what I always do.

After a while you get enough feeling in your hands to be able to play with drag settings and still protect the rod.