Thread: Best SP/light bait spinning reel < $200

Best SP/light bait spinning reel < $200

Hi All,

I noticed that BCF are now advertising Shimano Stradic's for $189 (which seems to be pretty much about standard price elsewhere anyway).

Is this a good reel for SP/light bait on a Berkeley Dropshot 4-8lb Fireline, or are there better options for less than $200?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Best SP/light bait spinning reel < $200

I can vouch for both Okuma and Plueger reels (both well under $200), the smaller the better, you do a lot of casting, so light rod and reel are essential or you will end up with one big arm

Mike,

I own a stradic 2500. I use 4lb fireline and 10lb fins braid and either a 6'6" 1-3kg berkley drop shot rod or a pflueger trion 7' 3-6kg rod depending on where I am fishing. Has worked a treat for me so far. It casts very well due to its great line lay and has an excellent drag. For $189 I think they are near unbeatable value. The only one that comes close I guess is the Daiwa Capricorn. I have not used one so I cannot comment but a lot of people seem to like them. Personal preference as to what size you get. I liked the 2500 size so I could do the 4lb and the 10lb for different situations. If you are only using 4lb and chasing bream the 1000 may be a good option. Just see which one feels better on a rod to you.

Cheers

this is a review of the Okuma metaloids, mine has been an awesome little reel, very smooth, instant anti-reverse, excellent drag. I could dribble on about it, but couldnt say it better than this review.
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmetaloid.html
    and here's the pflueger web site, some nice stuff there, and reels in this class all under $200
    http://www.pflueger.com.au/

I have noticed some people bag the Penn applause reels, but I have a 2000 and its been a great little performer. The best thing about it is for $200 you can get a reel (full metal construction), spare spool and braid for both reels.

I would say check em out, ~$120

I have a 2500 Stradic on a 4kg Raider rod with 10lb braid and love it!! only thing i have used that feels better is dads Stella way too much for me though. When I saw the price at BCF I had the feeling of needing another one Lol

Dad also has an Okuma, not sure witch one but it only lasted a couple of years, still useable but the coating has started flaking off it and it has lost alot of its smoothness.

A mate of mine has a Penn I think its an applause 2000 he paid about $120 for it, has been a good reel for him, I can remember using it and thought it wasn't quite as smooth as my stradic.

I also have a Pflueger solara that cost me about $80. I wouldn't recomend it as a salt water reel. it was great for about 6 months b4 it started stiffening up, i stripped it down and found that the barrel bearing was rusting It still works but the noise it makes would scare the fish away i think!!!

I am getting a replacment for it in a month or so and it will be a symetre 4000 (i think?) its going to go on a 5-8kg Raider with 20lb for the bigger stuff

Cheers
    Brandon.

TIM-DONSELAAR

i have a penn applause 3000......It's a great reel,but i cannot compare it to a stradic as ive never used one.

cheers tim #

stradic. To put it into perspective they were selling for almost 250 a year ago so its a good price.

Im running a Sedona 1500FB bloody top little reel for around the $100.00 mark. Smooth as silk,Had it over 2 years yet to miss a beat. I use is almost exclusivly for SP's so its done ALOT of casts.

Without a doubt the best value spinning reel on the market at the price point that you are looking at is the Daiwa Theory. This is simply a Daiwa Capricorn with one less bearing (there is no right hand side plate bearing) the bearing can be retro fitted and you have a Capricorn for under $200. I have fished extensively with Stradics and would warn you off them. They are a worm drive over a oscillating gear drive which is far more complex and prone to trouble. The worm drive which runs a Stradic is what gives Stradics their characteristic whine when they are spun at speed. I work in the tackle trade and am yet to see a Stradic which doesnt do it...most annoying.
    One thing I would say of the Penn Applause is (which is a copy of a Daiwa Capricorn anyway) that they have the best drag system you will find under about three hundred bucks. This is due to Penn's association with Jack Erskine. The applause is a very heavy and bulky little reel though so if you intend spending hours casting with it keep that in mind. Keep in mind with the Theory or Capricorn that you are getting a metal bodied reel with a machined handle and a tubular bail arm which offers big advantages when using fine braided lines. Shop at a decent tackle store and they will be able to give you options like cheap upgrades to your reels so you can get the best performance from your mid priced gear, drags are a good example of how you can improve a cheaper reels performance...you just need to know how. Cheers James

p.s keep in mind that if you shop at places like BCF you will never meet a staff member who could have told you all of that?

Thanks for the replies guys, there's a bit to consider there.

Sounds like a "Yes", "No" and "Maybe"

Good luck,
    Mike

Do a bit of bargaining and you should be able to get a Caprociorn for the price of a Theory (no need to upgrade, then). Should be able to do it for under $200 (ie $199!). I did.
    If you want to spend a little less, I can recommend the Daiwa Laguna range - I've got a 1000 that has done many, many hours with the sp's and still runs perfectly. Also have a 2000 that hasn't done as many hours, but still no complaints.

By the way...mention was made of the Okuma Metalloid - is it sold under that name in Australia??