Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best esky

best esky

What do you people think is the best esky for the dollar????????

Re: best esky

depends what your price range is the ice kool or evakool are both top quality boxes

fiberglass boxes will hold your ice longer than the plastic boxes.

fiberglass boxes do not obsorb as much heat as the plastic boxes
    fiberglass does not retain the smell of fish
    fiberglass tends to be heavier.

plastic boxes (ice kools) do not reflect the heat as well as the fiberglass boxes
    plastic boxes can hold the smell more than fiberglass
    i have heard reports of plastic boxes lids warping in the heat.

hope that helps you out a bit
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nick1971
    What do you people think is the best esky for the dollar????????
    absolutely, positively, no contest, best bang for the buck is .....
    Icemate by Evakool - see http://www.icemate.com.au/index1.html
    its the Falcon / Commodore equivalent with a few extras like
    #locally made (SEQ) #parts readily available (yeah.. parts like hinges, latches, baskets, bungs) #5 year warranty etc etc ... and the bloody thing stays cold too!!!

The critisisms re non-glass boxes smelling are grossly overstated - when a glass icebox develops scratches & cracks thru the outer layer then they can be harder to clean - anyways with a proper soapy/antibacterial clean, rinse & dry there should be no smells with any icebox.

if you want a BMW or Daihatsu icebox then thats another story
    Haines Hunter 650 'Horizon' 200 4st Johnson (aka Suk DF200) call sign "Dozer" or "Uripper"

Sportfish_5

Nick - if you happen to be in Brisbane around the time the tinnie and tackle show is on check out the eva-kool stand as they sell factory seconds that have very little wrong for bargains. I picked up a E85 two years ago for 200 bucks that had a scratch on the corner and a chip in the front.

Cheers

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by uripper
    absolutely, positively, no contest, best bang for the buck is .....
    Icemate by Evakool -
    I bought an Icemate (yellow ones) at Christmas and have not been as impressed as Uripper. #I bought the 88l model which is a long esky and I am not sure if the sides bow a bit but the wire basket slips down in #pretty regular fashion, especially if the basket is sitting in the middle of the esky. #Also, the main part of the esky also seems a little too wide for the lid and the seal does not sit well at all. #

I have been intending to go back to Evakool about it and must do that pretty soon.

However, apart from the construction quality, the functional design is terrific. #I did not want the expense and brittleness of a fibreglass model and did not want the inconvenience of the elastic fasteners that you get on the cheaper ones. #I have a smaller IceCool (blue ones - also made by Evakool) which I use as a bait esky and it keeps stuff very cool but it is a damn nuisance to undo the elastic loop fasteners especially one handed when holding a fish or rod in the other hand and with cold fingers on a winter's night. #The IceMate has a hinged lid which can also lift off very easily from the hinge and the fasteners are easy to use non rusting types. #The metal clip that holds on the fabric tape handle on the cheaper IceKool is also starting to corrode after less than a year. #It does get a fair bit of exposure to the weather and salt air when I am in the boat though.

Bottom line is that I think that the IceMate is very well designed functionally but I suggest that you have a good close look at the one that you buy to see that the lid fits well and that the wire basket is secure. #The Icemates have a five year warranty and the blurb on the website suggests that they are tested to be pretty tough.

BTW the wire basket is a great thing to have. #I used to carry my lunch in a bag outside of an esky and it naturally got warm as the day wore on but now I slip it into the basket and assuming that it stays in place, my lunch is nice and cool when I want it and does not have to get moist from the ice slurry below it that the fish sit in. #Really nice to have cool fruit especially.

The lid of my esky gets featured in pictures here pretty regularly... http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1139891735 http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1141714053 # http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1140996249 #

It might not be a major thing but I do find that the height of the IceMate is perfect for use as a table in my little runabout. #It almost becomes a damn nuisance to have to take all of the stuff off it so that I can open it to put in another caught fish. #

trout3030

Charleville,
    On your esky that has the elastic loops for hold downs just half hitch a length of brown twine to them. Then you can just pull down on them one handed to release. Even easy in winter. Not sure if this makes sense so let me know and I can post a pic.

Evakool.... full stop. Got a 120 ltr Evakool in 1995.... $325 back then and would of saved 3 times that amount over the years in $ for ice.

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sportfish_5
    Nick - if you happen to be in Brisbane around the time the tinnie and tackle show is on check out the eva-kool stand as they sell factory seconds that have very little wrong for bargains. I picked up a E85 two years ago for 200 bucks that had a scratch on the corner and a chip in the front.

Cheers

Greg

Did ya eat the chip?

Tropical ice box mate you cant beat them for the price 105ltr under $300
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

the plastic lids do warp a little in the heat, but i have 2 blue ones that are rock solid, and dont retain too much smell...

i had one full of maggots once and a bit of disinfectant sorted it out fine..

I use a Waeco 65lt fibreglass model and works well in the boat with a removable cushion. Ice lasts a couple of days no problems.

Cheers.

got a 120 lit and 65 lit evakool. fantastic. put bag ice in morning, go fishing for the day, come home unload esky, still half bag a least next day.bloody great esky

mate has a tropical and it works well, havent actually used any others so I cant compare really, except to the old Colemans etc which it flogs hands down.

Value for money - cant go past a $4.50 coolite box from your local greengrocer or butcher, might even score it for nothing.

Not sure that the coolite box will hold the block ice for 4 days like the Tropical ice box, but they certainly are affordable
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><