Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knots in braid (the bad kind)

knots in braid (the bad kind)

Hi all,
    Finally got down to the water today to test out my new rod and reel and also have a go at the soft plastics i bought the other day, but about every second cast i was ending up with a big tangled mess halfway down my line! >
    I am using a 7ft Shimano Backbone Elite BBE70 rod with a Penn Mariner Plus 7000 reel loaded with 30lb Platypus Super Braid. Would this be caused because the line has twisted as it was going onto the spool? How can i stop the line from twisting and knotting up when i cast?
    cheers

Jeff

Re: knots in braid (the bad kind)

Sometimes when casting light weight plastics and your using heavy braid, it does it fequently. Comes off the spool in 3 individual loops. what weaight heads were you using?

I had the same problem with 6lb fireline, soaked the spool in hot water for an hour and havent had the problem since. 30lb is very heavy...

I had the same with 4lb Superbraid. Was casting weights between 1/20th to 5/8th and still had the same problem. (was on a Stradic 2500) Thought the line wasn't wound on the spool tight enough, so retensioned it again. Same problem. Thought line may have been twisted, so ran it out behind the boat without anything on it for about 10 minutes at trolling speed. Still the same. Stripped it all off and went back to Fireline, haven't had a problem since. I concluded that Superbraid is great for baitcaters, not as good for spinning reels.
    My 2.5 cents
    Cheers
    Bill

well it would knot up when i was casting SP's or metal slugs, weight didnt seem to make much difference. I am using 30lb as the rod will be primarily for casting for pelagics up in the torres strait, so will need some heavy line
    I guess i can try soaking the spool and see what happens, otherwisei guess ill just have to put the braid on my TSM III overhead and get some fireline for the eggbeater?

Don't have a problem with 10kg on the tss4 and 15kg on the7500 bigboss both sufix Matrix pro

cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Fireline is quite springy, especially at the Heavier end. My local tackel store recomended me Fins in anything i want over 20lb. Thisis what i have on my Barra stick. its 50lb and is very soft and plyable, I don't think i got many bad tangles with it so far although my stradic has had a couple of big tangles with 14lb fireline! tends to happen when i am working a very light plastic and small loops start apearing on the spool. Usually every 10 casts or so i fire one out into the middle of the creek and hold the line back onto the spool and wind quickly, gives me a chance at a Trevor as well as getting the line seated better for the next few casts someone on here should be able to give you some more info on this!! I don't use the platypus line and don't know anyone else that does but someone on here must have given it a go!!

Cheers
    Brandon.

yeah i didnt really know what braid to get, ive never used it before, but was told to get some 30lb "super braid" by the guys i go fishing with, and platypus line was 25% off at the mart with an A. Might go into fishermans world and have a look, they should have people that know what they are talking about.

Hey Hoges,

Why not shoot Jason at Sundown a PM...he's really good at trouble shooting these kind of things...and they really do look after Ausfishers

Cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Good call Rhys! I must get over there again soon they did me a great deal on my electric motor and batts... Both myself and my dad have talked in length with Jason about a lot of different fishing and we are both impressed and very happy with the info he has given us. I just wish i could go fishing as often as he does bring on the lotto win!! Lol

cheers
    Brandon...

Hoges TS,

I have experience the same problem mainly when casting very light soft plastics. What happens is that because the lures are so light the line gets would on with very little tension. What I do is every 4 or 5 casts I use my fingers to wind the line on under tension and I find the problem is solved.
    Another tip is to slightly underfill your reel compared to normal.

Sometimes braid (not fused line) but normal every day braid can be packed to tightly. When that happens you will find that the line is biting into itself and will pull loops off the spool as it is cast. Unfortunately the opposite can be true if its put onto with too little pressure it will tangle slightly and pull loops off as well. Its a bit of a balancing act but when you get it right I find it performs better than a fused line like fireline.

guide placement has a lot to do with this with light braids as when it comes off the spool it is catching the on the first guide as it comes back down and thru the guide ,not straight off the spool and thru the guide as you may think is happaning,braid dose not have the memory of mono ,so you need to look at guide set up to get over this ,regards HST

count_baysea

Is your knot catching the tip or last guide causing a small backlash? agree with billfisher on tension.

HogesTS,

I agree with Billfisher,the drama you are having is most likely because the braid is not wrapped on the reel properly .This is due to a lack of weight on the line when you are bringing in the plastic when not hooked up as the pastic is too light to wrap the line tight enough to avoid the problem.The line in the deeper part of the spool would be fine so there is no need to unload the lot of it .Two more things that would not be helping is the size of the reel and weight of the braid,a spool on a 7000 is a bit big for what you are doing and 30 lb superbraid is far from suited to this application,superbraid is very good for deepwater work on overhead style reels but less than good on spin reels in the heavier line weights.

Hope that helps a bit,drop me a line for more info.

Rhys,

The only reason i can trouble shoot these things is because i have stuffed things up so often mate!.Did you end up with a copy of BnB by any chance?.

Brandon,

John knows more about this local area than most people i have met around here so the information giving is both ways mate,great bloke your old man is.

Regards

Jason

Sundown Marine.

Sundown Marine.
    Cnr Anzac Ave and Regency street
    Redcliffe QLD 4020
    (07) 32033007