Thread: Alternative Light braid options.

Alternative Light braid options.

After doing multiple tests on my 6lb fireline with it consistantly breaking at 4lb and not at the knots, I think I might be in the seach for a new braid for my bass threadline. I'm wondering what experience has anyone had with other brands in this light weight?

Turley

Re: Alternative Light braid options.

I recently had the exact same issue as you. I decided to try a new spool of 6lb fireline, and it was infinitely better. There has definitely been a bad batch of 6lb fireline around I reckon.

Also I have just bought some Platypus Superbraid in 2lb and reckon it could be pretty good, but I haven't used it yet so I can't say for sure.

Fireline is not braided. It is fused, and will never be as good as braided dyneema.
    If you want the best and finest diameter braid there are several options. Platypus 2 pound diameter, if you can get it, Famell SW Super , or yamatoyo.
    The best i have found for diameter and uses is the Famell by Yamatoyo in 10 pound. This stuff is fine and almost weightless.
    Paul McNaught

I have been told that fireline still holds all distance casting records in australia for the braid class. So it is probably worth sticking with however if it is having trouble with breaking strain then maybe its time to try another braid.