Thread: Help please! Araldite removal?

Help please! Araldite removal?

I have stuffed up the repair of a cherished jug and now need to find a way to remove the Araldite glue and get someone who knows what they are doing to do the job.

Does anyone know a way of softening dissolving or removing Selleys ARALDITE glue?

I need to get this done before Margo finds out!!!!

NeilD

Re: Help please! Araldite removal?

Before it goes off household vinegar breaks down epoxies eg araldite. Might be worth a go.

Thanks but it has set

fishingnottake

heat seems to work, don;t know how the jug would hold up, maybe using a soldering ion to heat the jug enough to pul it apart then pick the arildite off.

chisel? unfortunately its designed to stick like s**t to a blanket.........

Sportfish_5

Break it again

timbacutta

I think someone's in big trouble.

Try contacting the glue company and see if they can suggest an answer. Probably your best bet.

There are some powerful chemicles out there that will melt the glue but they're very dangerous and would probably damage the jug itself.

You can contact the store you bought the glue from. Maybe they have a product that dissolves that stuff. Also, try a hardware store.

I looked for remedies on the net and most folks used heat and vinegar. The vinegar take a long time to work, they said. Some tried other chemicles like acetone, gasolene, kerosene, or alcohol. I wouldn't use heat with these things though.

If you buy a product to melt the glue but fear that it may damage the jug, try placing some glue on a surface similar to the jug and let it cure. Then try the product on it. It's better to test it on a surface you don't care about first.

I hope you can find a solution. Good luck.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Dug,

Forget all of the above and take out a funeral plan. There's plenty being advertised at the moment.

I would say you're DEAD!!

TOL

oops double post - sorry

Dug #- I'm guessing that the jug is ceramic. I spent 30 years of my life as a potter- and what I would do is burn the stuff off in a kiln

If the company can't come up with a solvent for you, then heat is your answer. But forget the soldering iron, too much chance of creating another crack.Pretty sure it won't be enough heat, but first try your oven. #Just put it in the oven at room temperature and heat the oven up as far as it will go and leave it there for an hour. Put the jug #in on its side and in a baking dish just in case this works and the the pieces fall apart.

If this doesn't work, it needs to be fired relatively slowly to 600 degrees C in a potters or metal enamellers kiln. (This represents a small (minor) risk to the integrity of the surface and I would have to see the piece before I would absolutly guarantee that it wouldn't mar the decoration. #Try your local TAFE, they might be willing to put it in a kiln for you #If you live in Brisbane I can give you a contact number for someone who might do it for you - so PM me if you like. #But first try the company and then the oven. #I don't think I'd risk the microwave.

cheers

Tony

Dug, I would try some paint thinners (not turps, but thinners for automotive paints). It is available in small quantities from most hardware or paint stores.

This stuff will dissolve fully cured automotive enamel if it is left to work for a few minutes. Also, it's main advantage is that it leaves no discernable residue on most hard surfaces.

Probably best to try it on a small section first though, to make sure it doesn't affect the glaze. Maybe Tony N the potter could advise if this is a wise solution?

Dug old mate - if i was you and you were me (thankfully for you ur not) I would sneak into margo's cosmetics kit (woman tackle box) and steal her nailpolish remover, I think its also known as acetone - it will knock the nuts off a brass monkey - give it a go - cheers, Raef

wiseguy67

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_N
    Dug #- I'm guessing that the jug is ceramic. I spent 30 years of my life as a potter- and what I would do is burn the stuff off in a kiln

If the company can't come up with a solvent for you, then heat is your answer. But forget the soldering iron, too much chance of creating another crack.Pretty sure it won't be enough heat, but first try your oven. #Just put it in the oven at room temperature and heat the oven up as far as it will go and leave it there for an hour. Put the jug #in on its side and in a baking dish just in case this works and the the pieces fall apart.

If this doesn't work, it needs to be fired relatively slowly to 600 degrees C in a potters or metal enamellers kiln.

Tony
    This is the solution. Oven baking will reduce the bond but it may not come apart. If you attempt to re-break it it may very well break but not where the apoxy is.
    You will then have the difficult task of removal of the residual epoxy. Work best done by a resoration expert if the item is of such value. So you may as well let them do the whole job.
    You may be best off taking her out to a nice dinner and break the news after the effect has taken hold explaining that you bla bla bla
    good luck