Thread: Timber Lures

Timber Lures

I am thinking about making my own timber lures. What type of wood is the best to use?

Thanks.
    Adrian

Re: Timber Lures

I find I can catch the timber on just about any sort of lure

Have a look here
    http://www.luresonline.com.au/lurematerial.htm

Cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

cedar if you can get it as it is expensive, try old doors from second hand places. cheers bdowdy.

White Beech is the best all rounder. Easy to work with good bouyancy and hard wearing. I've used this timber making lures for 35 years without a failure and can highly recommend it. cheers baldy

Thanks, will look around for some and give them a go. Might make a couple of each as I stumble across some material.
    Adrian

Jellutong is a good timber to work with and is strong as .... it cost less than the Ceader etc.... If ya got a bit of an idea what size lures you will be making..... order it in lengths of that size... eg 25 mm X 20 mm as there is less wastage. A fair few Australian cottage lure makers are using this timber and swear by it.

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

What about the good old broom handle? There's been hundreds of old fisho's making themselves lures out of it for years, and it's always done them well....

And they're cheap as!

Nah mate, don't use broom handles unless you are making sinkers. I too have spent many years making lures, I used to use English red cedar and the changed to Serian cedar, it is very light and the bouyancy is fantastic. You can buy the cedar from most joineries.

Cheers
    Murray

westie

Hoop Pine so long as it is DRY easy to work with. good bouyancy as well pick it up from Hardware Stores.

I've found the timber frame found inside discarded internal doors works a allright,it is light strong and has a tight grain,I think it's either luane or mirante.

i use wood from the batwing coral tree it is easy to work and has good bouyancy and best of all its free also have used red cedar but find it hard to come by