Thread: ALVEY VERSES THE REST

ALVEY VERSES THE REST

Ive got tld25s , 30 2speeds, and while i think there great reels , it seems that i am always servicing them. I mostly bottom bash in deep dropoffs because i like the fight of the bigger fish, which leads me to my question, is the alvey the best for maintanace and pure power? I have never used one and i am thinking of buying one, but which one? And on what stick? Any info would be great! Thanks in advance,

insideout

Re: ALVEY VERSES THE REST

I use a 825bvc on a 37kg rod with 80lb fireline. the drags not real smooth but there is a big of power. I run it on 15kg of drag, didnt think I would get it but I have had it a 20kg on the scales. I have boatred a 20kg from 30mtrs in about 3mins or less

spinner

for maintenance, Alvey wins everytime. for fighting BIG fish, I
    think you can do better. Jigging for big samson fish and giant trevally would have to be near the toughest forms of fishing on gear, and you don`t see too many people recommending Alveys for that.
    For me, any reel is only as good as it`s drag, unless you are fishing for whiting with 6kg line.
    I would be looking at a Torium or Trinidad or if you have plenty of cash, a Torsa. I find the star drag reels simple to service.

Reggy

Insideout,

What are you doing to them? I only pull my TLD's apart every two years or so and this is only for preventative maintainence, as I haven't had a problem with them.

I think an alvey would be a step backwards.

Insideout,

You can't beat an Alvey for solid reliability, I ended up with two by default, they were in my seafarer when I bought that.

I only use them for mackeral fishing/trolling, and won't change them for anything else, particularly for that type of fishing, where I prefer to use a heavy line.

I've landed marlin, sailfish, cobia right down to small squire using those two reels. They are simple star drags and not side casting.

They are definately NOT the most elegant of reels, the ratchet makes a sort of clattering noise, but who cares!

For jigging and bottom fishing I still prefer the overheads with the higher ratio.

You won't go wrong with a couple of Alveys in the reel collection, they will out live anything else you have and require minimal maintenance.

Roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

agree with the above, but damn, how boring are they to use? not much more enjoyable than a handline in my view.