Thread: penn applause handles

spinner

penn applause handles

Anyone know if the handle on the new Applause 8000 spin reel, will fit on a 7000?
    Reggy

Re: penn applause handles

yes they will.......and vice versa (I took the fighting handle off my 8000 and swapped it for a standard 7000 handle).

spinner

Huggy

Did you not like the 8000 handle? How much did the change over cost you?

Reggy

Yeah, I didnt like the feel of it and I have a pretty good relationship with my local tackle store so they just swapped it over for nothing and put it on the 7000 they had in stock.

It was purely a personal thing......

Huggy_B & reggy,

what kind of fishing do you guys use the penn applause 7000, 8000 for?

I've just bought a 6000 and a 8000 for general purpose bottom bait bashing and float lining around the shallow reefs around SE QLD and Nth NSW.
    I'll put the 6000 on a 7' 8-10kg rod and the 8000 on a 6'6" 10-15kg rod.

I'm not quite sure what size braid to use?

I was thinking 30lb as i don't want to destroy the reels or break rods. do you think it would be of any use to go up to 40 or 50lb braid if i'm careful with drag settings?

I will probably have a go at jigging with the 8000 combo. The 6000 & 7' rod feel like it will cast slug pretty well for the tuna & mack's.

your input would be most appreciated.

Sorry to hijack your thread so i'll add my 2 cents worth even though i havent used the reels in anger.

I like the 8000 handle. I think it would be better for slogging it out with a fish from deep. I don't think it would suit the kind of retrieve rate required for the mack's etc and not sure if it would be comfortable for jigging either so the other handle gets the nod for the high speed spin jobs.

thanks, Roo.

spinner

I use my 7000 Applause for throwing 25 to 35 gm metals to mackeral
    off a 7ft ugly stick , 6-10kg rod.
    I reckon the Applause is the best bang for your buck on the market, don`t know how they make them for the price.
    This is the only spin reel I use these days, but I always have a 6500 Spinfisher in the boat for my wife and guests to use. I`ll be buying another one of them before they go off the market.
    All the best
    Reggy

spinner

Sorry mate, forgot about the line question. I use 10kg fireline on my 7000 , but anything from 10kg to 25 kg braid would be OK., Just adjust your drag accordingly.
    Reggy

cheers
    I'd have too agree. seem to be plenty of bang for buck. solid feel.
    cheers roo.

I use mine on several rods - 12' beach / 7' 15-24kg boat rod / 7' 10 - 15kg boat rod chasing snapper/salmon/tailor/mulloway(jewfish to you east coasters) etc.

I can bottom bash up to around 30m, but any deeper and its not worth the hassle IMO. Might be a different story if you ran braid, but as it stands I only have one spool running 20lb trilene mono, but I am thinking about a second spool to braid up - possibly 30lb. I already have a Spheros 14000FA to get heavy with (80lb braid) and a TLD25 with 65lb to fill the gap. Im not sure how the drag would cope with jigging over an extended period though? And I guess it depends on what fish you are jigging for! Sambo's here would probably kill the drag pretty quick I reckon!

cheers huggy,
    Probably won't get out much deeper than 30m anyway. My boat isn't that big to go venturing miles and miles offshore . I'll probably go with the 30lb braid on both but only because i want to get one big spool so i'll back the drag off a bit on the 10kg rod. I looked through the schematic drawings and parts list last night and noted that most of the internals (drag washers, bearings etc.) are the same parts on the 6000, 7000 & 8000. only the spool size differs between the 6- 7000 reels and then only the body, rotor and spool on the 8000. the guts are all the same.

cheers, roo.