Thread: $200-$250 Reel???

$200-$250 Reel???

Hi folks,
    Can someone recommend me some good reel for my 7 ft Ugly Stik and my 12 ft rod.
    Mainly use for river, boat, and occationally beach fishing.
    How is the Penn Slammer 560LA???

Cheers

Re: $200-$250 Reel???

G'day.
    What style? spinner overhead baitcaster alvey?
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Well since you asked about a Penn Slammer, I will just assume a spin reel.

Spheros 14000FA for about $200 + $15 for bearings + $25 for carbontex drag washers. $240 and you'll have a budget stella.

Or if you want a Penn, then I would recommend a 6500/7500SS over the Slammer.

Don't overlook the Rovex bigboss 7500...5 ball bearings, carbon tec drag, 5 yr warranty and a really tough reel

Cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

p.s. and well and truly inside your budget...enough change to pick up a nice spool full of sufix matrix pro 10kg

Cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

The Daiwa BG60 is a strong reel along the lines of the Penn 7500SS, excellent quality and slightly cheaper. Make sure it is made in Japan, also that the Penn is made in USA, if you go that way. Both the Penn and the Daiwa will last you many, many years with a little care and common sense.
    If you want something with an instant anti-reverse, Huggy B's idea sounds excellent if you dont mind tinkering, and Rev's is very keen on the Rovex, so it would also be worth a look!
    Depends on what your application is, if you're jigging you need the highest gear ratio, spinning, slightly less maybe, general fishing, less again, and surf/bottom bashing, a lower gear ratio will give you more power to skulldrag! Get this point well and truly sorted before you choose, IMO.
    Cheers.

for distance casting the daiwa emblem 5500 pro is apparently the bees knees. I have reliably told that this reel holds all the australian distance casting records for eggbeaters. My reliable source is the one who holds a few of these records.

Cheers