Thread: Awoonga Barra lures?

Awoonga Barra lures?

Keen to head to awoonga in the near future and wanna start buying some lures to gradually build up my collection before i go. Just looking for recommendations on what to buy ? How many would you be taking if you were going for a wknd ?

Re: Awoonga Barra lures?

Lets see now, you need topwater types, shallow runners, deep runners, 3 or 4 different ones in the middle range, big ones, little ones, ones with a little shite on ,
    You need tight shimmy, big shimmy, jerkbaits, sinkers, suspenders, floaters,
    AND, also, red ones, green ones, gold ones, silver ones, black ones,

And about 3 0f each type in each colour, and size, range etc, etc, etc.

Dont buy too much until the last minute, the conditions can change every fortnight or so, meaning you can take 1000 bucks worth of lures and none will suit the situation.
    No doubt there are some lures that must go in the box, and there is plenty of guys here that will tell you which one, but leave the major purchase till the last minute.

Hope that helps
    Paul McNaught

G'day mjc85, we found the Scorpion 150 XDD in Fluouro Green hot as in late January, but like Paul said, you gotta take a range of tools! Most of ours were caught trolling in the deep at about 60'+ with a few taking the Chrome Blue Arafura Barra in the sticks. We're heading back up for Easter, (if not before ) to get the moon just right I hope

Good luck
    Geoff

hey Mitch, if you're casting and want to keep it reasonably simple (and on a budget!), go for some 125 RMG's 3 and 4m depth in chrome bleeding mullet and gold, also classic barras in similair colours. 16a big gold bombers have worked well too when it cools off a bit. upgrade splits and trebles with 6x VMCs or 4x Owners. also would pay to have a few surface lures like large tango dancers, bills bugs fizzers and poppers, something that can be worked slow with plenty of noise. Lastly have a few plastics in your kit, squidgy slick rigs are easy to use.

barra classics have worked well in the past. Have a look at the report from last years ABT comp here. www.australianbarra.com.au

Cheers.

You can spend a million dollars and still catch nothing if you do not know how to use any of your selection. Keep it simple and you will find better success.
    Trolling Deep Water- (use an 8m halco scorpion crazy deep from October to April)-troll dead slow, walking pace or slower.
    Trolling shallower water- Possibly use a halco scorpion of a lesser diving ability such as a 3 metre version for trolling in 10 to 20 ft, day or night.
    Deeper Casting by Day- any bigger barra lure that will dive around 15 feet, like a Barra Bait, or something similar. Hold your rod tip low and wind quite slowly also. Add into the retrieve a slight twitch and a stop!
    Shallow casting - Go for the B52 bomber or again something very similar that only dives shallow and has a small bib. Fish weed edges and areas close to the bank late arvo and evening. Add life to this lure by constantly 'flicking' the rod!

Keep it simple they say,,,,,,,,if you armed yourself with just the above mentioned, and stayed focused on technique for your fishing holiday, you should be able to come up with the goods! Take 10000000 lures and the confusion has certainly set in as what to do with them all. Stay confident and positive with a small selection. All barra lures work, all colours work. No colours are better than another. Filter out the confusing stuff and keep a basic approach. 12 months ago my tacklebox consisted of about 4 lures! It is all you need.
    and lastly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the lure you catch most of your barra on is the one that is tied onto your rod!!
    Keep it very basic, and have faith in what I said!
    Trust me,,,,,,,,,,I'm not a used car salesman!
    Regards,
    Johnny M
    Lake Awoonga

Darren_R

It all depends on what is going on at the time. It is very hard to go past the Predatech Viper range and most of the typical Barra style lures. (Bomers, Barrabaits, Rmg crazy deeps) I have fished it three times. On the new moon, On the full moon, and on neither. Early morn and into the night are the best times by far. From around 10am till 4 or 5pm go for a sleep or take the wife to town for a few hours. With a good sounder you will notice how much bait there is in the place, its crazy. I dont know why the fish bother chasing a lure. As the bait fish come up of an afternoon so do the barra so you dont have to go very deep. Flick around the timber, troll the old creek bed. If you put the time in you will do ok. Talk to the people in the kiosk.

Have a look at the huge range of Barra lures they have in the shop at the dam itself. They are priced at about the same as you would get anywhere. I would be saving my money and would buy them there as obviously most of their types and colours are successful on the dam.

carton of xxxx bitter or 2
    stop a local tackel shop ask '' i want a lure to catch a barra ''
    head off get drinking and casting
    thats how i use to do it ... and got fish even

ahh 18 what a time