Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do yo use circle hooks

Re: When do yo use circle hooks

gamakatsu octopus circles and a few others are not a true cricle hook.

there is only a few true circle hooks around. eagle claw's are proven to be the best as far as mouth hooking fish goes.

I have used the gamy octopus circles before and have found you can actually strike a bit with them and get them to set..although thats usually in the guts and gills.

the new fine wire mustad demons (the light grey ones not the black ones) seam to be very close in shape to the eagle claws and they are nice and fine and super sharp. also made in smaller sizes to suit bream and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by flick
    Feral, next time your in a decent tackle shop, look for 'Mustad Demon', 'Gamagatsu octopus circle', and 'Owner' have one, I don't know what they are called.
    Basically they are a very open round shape with the point turned all the way around to face the shank.

Ta for that, sounds like the bass hooks I use. Hummed a box of 100 early last year from my old man, dunno what type or brand they are, but they fit the description.

So where do Kahle hooks fit into all of this? I read that of all the hooks they tend to gut hook more fish, yet they are supposed to be a non-strike hook, designed to catch the fish when it turns and runs for cover like trout do. I have used them on the reef for trout, held firmly on a handline without striking. I was advised that this technique is used to ensure that the trout didnt brick me on the coral. It worked too - I dont recall missing any fish on a decent bite and they all seemed to be lip or at least mouth hooked. None were gut-hooked

Regarding the circles, if I was using 6/0 Kahles, would 6/0 circles be the corresponding hook to try?. The one's I have seen seem to be very heavy guage.

Thanks

Tony

Nigel r, i tend to fish these sorts of setups more with rods in holders where most of the fish hook themselves( to some extent ), most big tailor just swallow the bait whole, so there is no need for reefing the guts out of it.

Thanks for your reply, SurfSniper, more power to your worming fingers!
    Cheers mate.