Thread: 30 to 40lb reels

30 to 40lb reels

hi all, #1st post so here goes
    Im looking for a boat reel for around the $400 - $500. im not sure on brands but i here Penn may be the one to chase. It will get used about twice a month (if im lucky) and im after some good size fish. Any help would be appreciated thanx, # # Kyle

Re: 30 to 40lb reels

Can't go past the TLD's Shimano range. Good price no fuss proven reel

ditto, and will cost you half of that!!!!!!!!! get a better rod then!!

thanks fellas ill look into it, kyle

What are you doing, where are you fishing??

If you're ready to spend that much already, the TLD may not cut it??
    If you are not fishing too deep, fine.

If you are fishing 60mtrs or more, bear in mind, spool circumference x actual rotations of the handle.
    My boat uses Diawa Sealine 6/0s for bottom fishing from 60mtrs to 250 mtrs, there is a big spool to use, good circumference, comfortable turning circle with the handle ( move it to the widest hole). In all a very strong & reliable reel, still around half of what you have to spend.

My opinion only.

Muzz

yes i see the price i was willing to go up to was rather over the top . Looks like 400 will get me a decent combo. Ive been searching the archives and it looks like the tld's are the go but the quicker retreive of the tyrnos might also be an option. It will get used mainly for bottom fishing and trawling. I dont go out to the shelf cause i spew big time so it wont be out to deap. Im fishing around the Perth / Rottnest waters and am heading up to Gnarloo for the annual so im mainly getting a new toy for up north fun (only out of a 13 ft tinny thou)

sounds like tyrnos territory to me ktWA... 300$ should get you a brand spanker... !

Hi ktWA.
    As onerabbit suggests, check out the Daiwa Sealines. Very strong metal reels, smooth drag, also available with lever drag SLD20, SLD30 if you are prepared to pay more, ($350.) The plain old star drag Sealines will last many many years, I regularly use some over 30 years old, still going strong, Sealine 600 goes for about $220 or so, large line capacity!
    Cheers mate

hi fellas ,
    coupla options ive had from Campbells, i went in today.

- Tyrnos 20 reel and 15-24kg T rod

- Okuma tg10l reel and Taipan 15-24kg rod

both combos $450

what do people think on the Okuma reel? Im thinking that the Tyrnos reel is a little oversize . I realise the 1st option is tailor made for each other but im not sure if i need that size. Its a fair bit bigger than the tld's . From what Shane said i might give the tld's a miss he says that although a popular reel they dont order any parts for any other reel than the tld's and the plastic casing may move a bit , small cogs inside get stuffed up under strain.
    What do you all think
    cheers
    kyle

Bump - anyone???

The Penn lever drags are also very good. I reckon as good as the Shimano TLD and very similar in design.

I'd take the tyrnos, of those two options.
    But I'd prefer a Daiwa Powerlifter STP 15kg and a Sealine 450H.
    Priced about $440 for the pair.