Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FREE Rod Offer Piranah Sports

Re: FREE Rod Offer Piranah Sports

let us know what you think of the rod when you get it.

Geez I am glad the rod I wanted didn't appear till March! I was going to send off my $$$.
    Me thinks alot of people have been scammed(Modern Fishing included) because the offer appeared in a reputable publication.
    The biggest downside to all this isn't that we (well those who sent off $30) have lost our $30 but I fear Modern Fishing will suffer more than the comsumer. Why? There will be some who got burned who don't avail themselves of internet forums or who have just decided not to buy another copy of MF. I for one hope this would be a rare situation as MF has done all in it's power to distance themselves form Pirhana.
    I think the idea of MF taking out ads in papers would be benificial to them also. Pirhana do not deserve our cutom as a retailer.

wiseguy67

bump.
    to the first page as it's news for those who have not heard the latest on this crew.
    No rod arrived this week.

I got my 10 ft beach rod this morning. No way is it worth $189. Its 3 pieces instead of two and the butt is way too short for a threadline (and the guide spacings don't suit an alvey).
    However I plan to glue a wooden sand spike to it and I should get good service out of it. For $30 I can't complain.
    I also got a so called gift voucher for $100 on their 2006 promotional range. These look like better quality but the way I read this I would still be up for $89 plus postage for something sight unseen that I could be waiting 3 months for.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher
    I got my 10 ft beach rod this morning. No way is it worth $189. Its 3 pieces instead of two and the butt is way too short for a threadline (and the guide spacings don't suit an alvey).
    However I plan to glue a wooden sand spike to it and I should get good service out of it. For $30 I can't complain.
    I also got a so called gift voucher for $100 on their 2006 promotional range. These look like better quality but the way I read this I would still be up fot $89 plus postage for something site unseen that I could be waiting 3 months for.
    Billfisher, how about a pic of the butt & a closeup of the bindings & guides to give us an idea of quality of build....thanks

I also got a so called gift voucher for $100 on their 2006 promotional range. These look like better quality but the way I read this I would still be up for $89 plus postage for something sight unseen that I could be waiting 3 months for.
    Billfisher,
    Have they got yhe spine of the rod correct. I'd be interested to know if they took this much care at least.
    Do you think the rod is up to the kg rating??
    Good luck with fising too.

I don't have the time to take any pics at the moment but I'll give you a description. It has six guides plus a tip. All are underbound.
    I have given it a swish in the air and I'd say it has a medium taper rated at about 7 - 8 kg and capable of belting out a 2 - 3 oz sinker. The ferrules are glass to glass and fit quite snuggly. As I said the butt is too short at 40 cm to the top of the reel seat (note that the thread is on the bottom of the seat). However a sandspike will fix this. The foregrip is rather short too at only 10 cm.

wiseguy67

Have a look in the "General Chat" page for pics of the $189.00 rod that i would take even if i was payed $29.95

I don't think anyone believed the $189 price tag. Its not like they were giving away G -Loomis rods. Its not really a case for tar and feathers as some seem to be suggesting. I got a rod which will I will get good use out of for less than I could get in a tackle shop.

I don't think anyone believed the $189 price tag. Its not like they were giving away G -Loomis rods. Its not really a case for tar and feathers as some seem to be suggesting. I got a rod which will I will get good use #out of for less than I could get in a tackle shop.
    I believed they could have had a good product. No they aren't G-Loomis rods but we couldn't say before seeing/testing the rods that they weren't as good or pray-tell better. If Pirhana were serious about selling good quality egar and started out on the right foot they may have made good money in the future. It seems now that all they were after was a quick $$ form the aussie fisher.
    Have they tried this anywhere else in the world? May-be someone with contacts in the UK/USA should find out and possibly warn them about any scams that may pop up that are similar?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4frog
    If Pirhana were serious about selling good quality egar and started out on the right foot they may have made good money in the future. It seems now that all they were after was a quick $$ form the aussie fisher.
    Of course they are not serious! #From day one, this was a scam to make a significant amount of money in a short space of time while barely staying on the right side of the law (debatable). #

As someone's already posted, they've made hundreds of thousands during the last three months. #And they will continue to make money off gullible punters (of whom I am one, regrettably) who get saddled with poor quality crap for their hard-earned.

The only way to hit them is to NOT send away for any more of their "free" crap and hope they get saddled with a warehouse full of rods for which no one would pay $10 each. Then again, they'd probably just sell it on eBay for a profit.

wiseguy67

I got a good response from Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
    http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/142

1300 302 502

Call them and let them know how you feel.

Today I sent letters to both the Fair trade Office and the ACCC

DO THE SAME THING If you are not happy with your rod

I have spent as much on phone calls and photo copies, postage stamps, faxes, #as i did on the rod.

If I am the only one that takes it to this level they may get away with it.

Misleading advertising
    Businesses need to be particularly careful about what they say and do when they are advertising, because of the wide audience that their promotional messages may reach. The laws that prohibit misleading advertising apply to businesses advertising through all kinds of media, including television, radio, the internet, telemarketing, door-to-door selling, billboards, brochures, pamphlets and fliers.

Companies engaged in advertising goods or services must be careful not to send a message that creates, or could create, a wrong picture in the minds of those who receive the message. Failing to disclose important information in advertising may also sometimes be misleading.

wiseguy67

Australia Post advised me the cost of postage to return the rod to Melbourne from here in Iluka northern NSW is $4.75
    postage Australia wide would be similar.

this indicates that Piranha Sport did very well profiteering from over charging for postage.

Befor I recieved the rod I was informed by Piranha Sport that I should of paid $29.95 plus $7.95 because i am in rural location.

Profiteering is the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical.

I had a look in the tackle shop the other day. You will pay $40 - 50 for a similar rod (ie made in China entry level), and they don't have to pay postage. If you tried to build one yourself you couldn't do it for that money.
    I suggest people keep their rods and get over it. I'm sure mine will come in handy (being 3 pieces) if I'm travelling by air, and it won't matter if the baggage handlers pinch or break it.

I had a look in the tackle shop the other day. You will pay $40 - 50 for a similar rod (ie made in China entry level), and they don't have to pay postage. If you tried to build one yourself you couldn't do it for that money.
    I suggest people keep their rods and get over it. I'm sure mine will come in handy (being 3 pieces) if I'm travelling by air, and it won't matter if the baggage handlers pinch or break it.
    I can not believe you?????????????????

People sent away their money expecting to get a rod claimed to be worth $189, not some crappy thing made in China/Tiawan or similar. They have every right to be pissed off, I know if I had sent my money for the March issue rod I would be too.
    If you have some $$ interest in this declare it now because you have done nothing but defend these a**eholes in every post in this thread.
    If anyone wanted a crap $30 rod(why I don't know) they'd go buy one, not put faith in what appeared to be a legitimate campaign to get a brand established in our counrty.
    I sincerely hope this all has it's lawful end. Pirhana do not deserve our custom >