Thread: 37kg stand up game reels/rods?

37kg stand up game reels/rods?

I am thinking of purchaseing 37kg stand up rods in bent and straight butt configerations with matching '80' reels eg. tiagra/penn international.

Has anyone used this sort of tackle and any recommendations on what is the best?

Re: 37kg stand up game reels/rods?

yeah mate i'd go the tiagra any day - far better and smoother gear change. what are you targeting?

cuzza

stuart

Why dont you give me a call on 07 54 933202.

Stuart Mackenzie
    Precision Rods

What are your thoughts on the larger Tiagras. I have heard some very bad reports about the 50wLRSs.

Steve

stuart

Everol reels are by far the best and most robust reel on the market today. They have the largest drag system of any reel in the world, i.e., surface area. They have bevelled gears twice as thick as most other reels; they also have a forced air intake system to keep the drag system cool while drag is being pulled from the reel. The Everol reels are the only reels to offer a patented side plate drag conversion at differing levels of the spool under load. This system is extremely accurate in any condition. I have used these reels for many years along with many charter operators with not a single problem. They also come standard with 7 sealed ball bearings, plus the company only makes 2500 reels a year and all hand made not machine made. I know what I would lay my money on in terms of quality, longevity, attention to detail.

Stuart
    Precision Rods

stuart I had an everol 4/0 and it was the biggest lump of crap ever, I had to cover it with plastic when trolling lures to keep the water out. If air can get in to cool down the drag then won't water as well!!! SHIKES!!!

I got it rebuilt by jack erskine and blueprinted for 15kg work, after that the drag was smooth but the reel was still nowhere near as solid and precise as a tiagra. I'm not sure about the newer waterproof models, but how many top game boats in the world are using everols??

how about a AVET out of the box they will blow all other away in drag and strength and the big plus is the price,

Stick with SHIMANO

Remember you get what you pay for
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Gday Reefking,
    mate i would stay away from the international the gear changing mechanism on them is so fidly its nots funny not something u wanna be worried about when it matters also heard that they are not sealed to well. Tiagars r great reels heard nothing but good things about them u may also wanna check out a reel by the name of Duel 2 a guy who chases record breaking sharks swears by them if u google it u will find the web site on them. Good luck mate

Happy Fishing All
    Mantis

I have a good handful of mates who love to chase big fish on 37 Kilo Standup tackle. From big yellowfin down in NSW, to Blue Marlin off Port Stephens, the Gold Coast and Monster Blacks out of Cairns and Cooktown.

Every single one of them uses Tiagras.

The poorer ones then match them to Shimano T-Curve rods, and the richer ones match them to one of Stuarts Precision rods or a Custom Miller. Mind you I've seen a Miller thats now bent permanantly due to the long strain on an 850+lb Black off Cairns for 3 hours.

Cheers

Wayne

If I was you I would stck with Tiagras or Penns ,By the way does any body know where I can get some top grade leather as I am rebuilding my troll rods
    regards
    White Knight

stuart

########,

For an extra $350 you can have a top of the line rod, I don’t think you have to be rich to invest that bit extra to get a whole lot more. When you look at the cost of game fishing in general these days it seems to be insignificant. Many people seem to baulk at the cost of high end game rod’s but not a game reel, why is that?

Stuart

Stuart , i game fish on a small budget and have allsorts of gear . For people like me you have to skimp on something and that usually is the rod . When you have a sticky drag or failure to your reel you upgrade . I will only upgrade rods if they snap or are horribly under powered . To me the reels performance is more important ,although for the average game fisho with a big boat who appears to me more financial you wonder why they would take the chance on buying cheap rods .
    I would love to have some of your rods but it would mean trolling only 2 outfits instead of 4
    I read somewhere once that you said you can get more leverage from a short bent but standup than a normal straight but , is this noticeable? ( i use the black magic gimble and harness setup and fish 80 standup )
    regards craig

the top of the range type rod are not just for the rich ,when you get a rod built for you it is build so it will do the work and a reel that is put on a cheap rod will not work as well as it should most times you have to turn up the drag to make up for the cheaper rod and then it might even break on you .
    Why do you think the big boys spend the big bucks ,not for the looks or to keep up with joe but they know when they get a fish on they have a better chance of winning .
    White_Knight