Thread: 6-10 kg Surf / Beach Rod

6-10 kg Surf / Beach Rod

Hi Guys!

Not posted for a while been too busy and only fished several times this year!

I fish mostly with lures from boats but am going back to a bit of beach fishing for mental health days with my Dad!! I have realised sometimes you just can't afford time to spend a whole day out on the boat, and beach fishing is a great way to "get your fix" in minimal time.

Hoping a few of the experienced beach fisho's out there could help me out.

What would be your top 3 rods to look at for beach / (occasional) rock fishing for tailor, large bream with strip baits, or trevally etc. (I already have the live fibre champion trophy low for the light stuff with small baits.)
    The rod will likely be combined with an Alvey 650 bcv RR using 10 kg line for heavier conditions or night fishing for jewies, or it will be with a similar alvey with 6kg for regular tailor fishing off the beach. I'm only a small short ar$e (170cm, 70kg) so the rod must be part graphite so as to be strong but light.

I looked at a 13'6 live fibre trophy low in the blue blank, but this weighed a ton and was too fast in action for me with only the last part of the rod bending when loaded up. The fulcrum seemed to be too far away from the angler and when loaded it put a lot of strain on my back!! It felt like you had to be a lumberjack to use it!!

I have also looked at the snyderglass mag surf which seemed good.

Price range would be up to $250.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Feel free to pm me if you want.

Re: 6-10 kg Surf / Beach Rod

My darling wife just bought me a Gary Howard 13.5ft with Fuji guides. It is mated to the same reel you have (6500BCVRR) and is a delight to use, although I am nearly 6ft. It does have a stronger tip than the ones you mentioned but is still pretty light and well balanced. Mine is a 2 piece for ease of transport.

I have a Snyderglas mag surf white tip with fuji guides, using an alvey 650B. It's a one piece i'm not sure if they had them in 2. Really light rod handles decent fish with ease. By memory it was $150.

Cheers

Nick

NeilD

I have been looking at the same rods for a mate. I was suprised at how little they have changed. My Magsurf is over 15 years old and is the equal of just about anything I have seen. Gary howard has some nice ones and the livefibre look great but their action seems quite soft. The 10-15kg Livefibre looks the goods though

Neil

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by Franco

I looked at a 13'6 live fibre trophy low in the blue blank, but this weighed a ton and was too fast in action for me with only the last part of the rod bending when loaded up. #The fulcrum seemed to be too far away from the angler and when loaded it put a lot of strain on my back!! #It felt like you had to be a lumberjack to use it!! #

how did you load it without using it ?

I own the rod in question after semi-retiring my Butters Powergraph after 20 odd years of faithful service. The live fibre is a heavier duty rod & light in the hand by comparison. The biggest tailor I caught last year on it went about 3.5kg & I was shocked by the decent size of the fish given the lack of effort required on the rod. I had problems in the first month with applying to much grunt on the strike & literally ripping the hooks out of fish - they are a great rod in my opinion. They throw a big ball a country mile on the cast & are sensitive to bites.

I cut about 1 - 2 inches off the butt, I like the alvey in close (and it definitely was the low seat version) . Could this be the issue with your back ?

NeilD

Chris

I saw one of those blue ones. Very nice rod from the feel in the shop. The lighter Trophy Champion is a much different beast. I would not put the blue model in the 6 - 10kg class though. It is a real beast of a stickbut still pretty light.

Those old powergraphs are still not a bad option in 6-10 and you can get a Wilson job for under the ton.

Neil

I have various beach rods eg 3 loomis , daiwa trybeam ,custom live fibres but still go back to the 29 year mag surf for tailor. the loomis and trybeam are beasts and light as feathers but the feel of the bite through the mag surf using an alvey is better

Thanks for the input guys

Chris I never buy a rod without actually putting a reel on it with line and set the drag to what I would most likely be fishing. We then go out to the carpark and the guys from the tackle shop pull line off it as if playing a fish. That's the only way I can get a feel for how it performs without actually using it. I often have a few casts as well.

Of course I can't actually tell what it will REALLY be like hooked up in the suds!!

I'm pretty good mates with the guys from my local tackle shops, and they are always willing to help. (Doug Burt's and Gold Coast Fishing Tackle) I do many types of different fishing from offshore to garfish, freshwater, and tropical stuff so spend a lot of money there (!!) and support them in return. They don't mind testing the rod as I explained.

I guess it's personal preference but I did find that rod in question too heavy c.f. other graphite surf rods. I was just trying to narrow it down to 3 most popular rods and then choose the one that best suits me mate. You seem pretty enthusiastic about them though so will give em a looksey still!! I reckon if you're lookin for surf rod advice ya gotta take note of someone who has your avatar!!

Thanks for any further info gents.

Like chris said, to change the position of the fulcrum cut the but shorter. I have the but of my rod 2 inches long, you dont need it any longer. that way when you are working fish you have your elbows at your side (not up in air ) so you are more comfortable while working the larger fish.Spindles

Anyone try the FS northcoaster from snyderglas....??