Thread: 5'6" Baitcaster opinions

5'6" Baitcaster opinions

Hi all,

Well with BCF having 15% off all rods at the moment i thought i would take the oppurtunity to get a 5'6" baitcaster to use with my Abu 5600c4 from the boat casting lures for barra, jacks etc up in the cape york/torres strait area. I am looking to spend something less then about $90, prefferably less if i can get away with it (uni student ).

I went to my local BCF today and had a look around, and was pretty interested in the Silstar crystal powertip 6-10kg rod which would come out at around $59. It had a nice sensitive tip and fuji guides and reel seat. Im not sure what type of blank the silstar uses, its feels like fibreglass/e-glass or whatever they call it.

Others i was looking at where Pflueger, Berkley dropshots, Shimano taipan extreme, Ugly stik gold, and a Wilson one that i cant remember the name, but it had a dark blue blank with gold trim on the guides and reel seat. All of these were 6-8kg or there abouts, and around the $80-90 mark after the discount.

At the moment im leaning towards the silstar, but am open to suggestion.

Cheers
    Jeff

Re: 5'6" Baitcaster opinions

Either the stilstar or the wilson are top rods, probably go the wilson over the stilstar, just sold 1 to a very happy customer the other day. would suit ur reel well, and if u ever upgrade to the calcutta, they are a perfect match
    cheers

BTW with the work ur talking about, steer clear of the cheap graphite sticks, wont handle the knocks unless u really look after it.

Try cash converters at toombul, they have a live fibre 6-8 overhead. Its the model you cant get anymore .My mate who builds rods professionaly reckoned it was the best until he showed me one of the new blanks just out. Graham

test the feel of rods,you will know .