Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Baitrunner?

Which Baitrunner?

Hi All,

I promised I'd give myself a break from tackle accumulation detail for a while, but almost inevitably, I'm still keeping an eye out

I've been considering adding a baitrunner to the arsenal. I'd like to use it for live-baiting (obviously) in the bay, so nothing heavy enough for the offshore reefs would be required. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to use it on two different rods, depending on how big the critters are:

1. A Shimano Raider Snapper 7'6" 5-8 Kg
    2. A Wilson Live Fibre 7' 8-15 Kg

I liked the look of the smallest Shimano BTR - the 3500B:

Gear Ratio: 4.7 to 1
    Line capacity: 200m of 6kg
    Ball bearings: 3 + 1 roller bearing.
    Weight: 560 grams

but there's also the 4500B:

Gear Ratio: 4.8 to 1
    Line capacity: 250m of 8kg
    Ball bearings: 3
    Weight: 630grams

I'd most likely to stick to around 14lb Fireline or 20lb Braid (one on each spool, assuming you get a spare). I wouldn't be needing to use it for high speed slug spinning or anything like that, as that's what the TSS4's are for, but it would be handy if I could use it with dead baits too...

So I suppose my question is; does the 3500 sound the better option? I haven't tried it on my rods, but I'm thinking the 4500 would be a bit big and out of balance on the Raider, but I'm not sure if the 3500 would feel right on the Live Fibre either. So what's the best compromise?

Any info from anyone running these reels on similar outfits would be appreciated, and of course, if there are any other non-Shimano baitrunners I should be looking at, feel free to confuse me further. Please don't say I need two, as my tackle addiction therapist will freak :-)

All advice welcome.

Good luck,
    Mike

Re: Which Baitrunner?

g'day Mike

I don't have experience with either reel - But I do have a 6500 (on a BWS 8-9.5kg Ugly Stik) and the reel is really a bit HEAVY - Though I do like it, I'd rather have the 4500 as a general purpose b/r. I use mine for floatlining both snapper and mackerel and for my purposes I think the 3500 is a bit light . With the 2 drag systems they are all relatively heavy reels though.

FWIW

Tony

G'day
    For a match to those rods i'd be looking at the 4500 as you stated. I see on the shimano website they have an urgraded versiona nd also a rear drag version. I run a 6500 on a 8kg wilson rod. I love it so will reccomend the 6500 awell.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Mike have both the 4500 and 6500. Great reels.

My vote for what you wanna put it on is the 4500. I run 20lb braid on that unit.

Cheers

Steven
    Cheers

Steven

4500...............yep, that;s the one you want.

I use a 3500 with 8kg line on a 6 - 8kg stick, floating for Snapper off the sunny coast . Sporting and fun. It then gets strapped to a 10ft ugly for Bream.

then again, you buy a 3500, 4500, and the 6500. maybe ?

Have you had a decko at the Okumas' ?

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

i have a shimmano btr 8010 its black and has a rear drag, been a great allrounder.

cheers

lippa

Thanks for the replies guys.

It looks like the 4500 is getting the votes. I'm still a bit concerned it'll be too big for the Raider, but I guess trying it out on the rod's the only way to go. I'm sure it's perfectly suited to the Live Fibre.

Out of interest Phil - have you used a 4500 on your 6-8 Kg rod?

Thanks again,
    Mike

Phil (or anyone else if you can help)...

Sorry I meant to ask, which Okuma's did you have in mind?

Thanks again,
    Mike

mike,,,dont want t throw any confusion into the pot,,, but i run a 4500,,, and a 6010,, both are now over 15 yrs of age and i havent spent 1cent on either,,, i purchased the 6010 due to it being a bit lighter than the 4500,, the only thing that i had against it initially was the back drag was a ""knob"" style opposed to the ""dial"" of the 4500,,, it just pokes out further and looks as if it would require more maintenance,,,,, both reels though have seen more than there fair share of estuary/beach/outside work and both have never left me down,,,,,

so if ya chasing the rugged construction without losing the size of the reel,,, the 6010 may be more the go,,,,,,keep in mind though,,, thats if there still around

choppa

ps,, i did purchase a cheaper ""okanewa,,,or oka-sumthing" brand as a cheapie for chop jr,, it serves the purpose as well,, smaller in overall balance weight, but able to carry enough line to keep me happy,, had that now for about 12 months trouble free
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

The shimano reels are very good have a 3500 spooled with 15kg for jacks and it does the job real well also own a 1500, 4500 and 6500 and I do not have a tackle addiction therapist (it has got way past an addiction anyway). For fishing in the bay I tend to use the 4500 and the 6500 both on 8ft custom rods. The smaller two I use in the creeks etc. A little extra line capacity can be good in the bay as the fish don't always read the rule book. The Okuma Eclipz range may also worth a look as they are also tough reels and come in a better range of sizes from small to huge at a fair bit less than the Shimanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened
    G'day
    For a match to those rods i'd be looking at the 4500 as you stated. I see on the shimano website they have an urgraded versiona nd also a rear drag version. I run a 6500 on a 8kg wilson rod. I love it so will reccomend the 6500 awell.
    Dave

Hi All,

For anyone interested, I fell off the wagon once more and bought a 6500 for the Live Fibre. The 3500 felt great on the Raider, but not right on the Wilson. The 4500 was ok on the Wilson, but too heavy on the Raider.

So instead of making a compromise on both, I decided to opt for the 6500 and go for the heavy reel and line on a rod that can handle them.

Thanks for the advice, but please realise that this information is confidential to Ausfishers, and specifically *not* my wife

Good luck,
    Mike

HA HA HA! Geez they must be paying you good mate!

I saw the Okuma baitrunners the other day, and they do look nice & flash. I haven't picked them up or anything, just saw them in a cabinet.

Guess we'll see how the Live Fibre/6500 goes tomorrow hey.

I don't know about being paid well, but it's certainly fair to say a considerable percentage of my disposable income is being spent on fishing/boating (and has to stop!). I reckon the only time I'm not spending money is when I'm actually sitting on a boat out of reach of any tackle shops!

Pressure's on for tomorrow. If I don't land fish, you're to blame. Of course, if I do, it'll be down to my angling prowess.

Catch you at the ramp. I'll give you buzz when I set off.

Good luck,
    Mike

The black okuma eclipze baitrunners are tough as nails. I have a modified ec 65 that pulls 13kg of drag pressure . I like them better than shimano.

Addendum - Oops I did it again

It was my birthday the other week, and I was given a Shimano Corvalus 200. I'm not really into the baitcasters, so I paid the difference and bought a Baitrunner 3500 for the Raider 5 -8Kg.

I knew this would happen. Right from the outset.

I'm now wondering whether to go for mono or braid - I'm targetting medium squire/snapper and tossing up between 14lb Fireline and say 17lb Vanish. I quite like the sound of a bit of stretch when livebaiting (worked a treat on the 6500, and I'm happy I went for mono on it), but also like the feel of braid/fireline. Casting huge distances isn't really on the agenda for this outfit, but maybe some bigger SP's.

Anyone have an opinion?

Good luck,
    Mike