Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Baitrunner 6500 whos got 1???

Shimano Baitrunner 6500 whos got 1???

Id like to know in the Ausfish community as to who owns a SHIMANO BAITRUNNER 6500 and what rods do you have them strapped to(kg class) as Im looking at getting one in 3 weeks.
    Also where have you used them offshore /inshore, types of uses floating bait ,trolling,bottom bashing and livies.
    What type of line are you running on them.

Re: Shimano Baitrunner 6500 whos got 1???

pic me!!!!!!!!!! and use it forall the above. best allrounder on the market. got it on a custom 10-15kg rod, and som pretty damn heavy plated braid.

cheers

lippa

I recently bought one, and it performed really well on a LT (the only decent fish I've got onto on the 2 ocassions I've used it). I've got it on a Live Fibre 7' 8-15Kg which feels a great balance and I'm running 30lb mono on it - I might consider braid later on but happy for now.

I use it for live baiting in the bay - I just love the sound of the baitrunner clicking happily with a nervous yakka on a 6/0 hoodlum [smiley=evil.gif]

Good luck,
    Mike

Thanks for the speedy reply and not trying to change my mind on the reel I selected.How much did you guys pay for your reels and rods??? Also how do you find the weight of the reel using it all day or during a long battle??

Quote Originally Posted by 2iar
    I recently bought one, and it performed really well on a LT (the only decent fish I've got onto on the 2 ocassions I've used it). I've got it on a Live Fibre 7' 8-15Kg which feels a great balance and I'm running 30lb mono on it - I might consider braid later on but happy for now.

I use it for live baiting in the bay - I just love the sound of the baitrunner clicking happily with a nervous yakka on a 6/0 hoodlum [smiley=evil.gif]

Good luck,
    Mike

It certainly did hold up well hey mate!

I've also seen a DVD where a guy had a Marlin hooked up on a 6500 hey Heath

i have mine on a penn powerstick 6-10kg 7'6 rod, great outfit caught some nice fish on it, if i was to get another one it would go on an 8-15kg 7'ft live fibre or texalium, possibly even a gary howard stick.

i use it for spinning, float lining, bottom bashing, live baiting,

10kg platypus pink
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

mines in the shop again due to a slipped cer-clip. this is the 2nd one i have had in within 6 months. i was told they where a faulty batch. I run both of mine with 30lb braid and one on a m10 and a live fibre wrap 10-15kilo on the other
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Dan

The Marlin was on the Big baitrunner , the Wahoo was on the 6500

These reels are just about bullet proof.

We have 8 baitrunner type reels.
    We have 3 Daiwa ones that we use for estuary, mainly for mangrove jack.
    Have got 3 x 6500, 1 x 4500 & 1 x Big Baitrunner.
    We use the 6500 for mackerel & snapper. We run anything from 10kg mono to 30lb braid ( Spiderwire stealth or Powerpro) Use it in the shallows or out wide on the 50's it dont matter. We have ours matched to Livefibre 8-10kg spin sticks. The 4500 is a great reel for snapper on the close reefs. The smaller reel seems more balanced.

The big baitrunner I use on a Livefibre 15-24kg Spin stick. Loaded up with 65lb braid I use this to try and stop the brutes. The bigbaitrunner is a tad lighter than the 6500 but is very smooth. Before the 6500B come out the Big baitrunner was worth splashing out on, simply because it offered infinate backwind. However now that the 6500B does as well, they are pretty much on par for everything exept the drags. The Big baitrunner also has the lever sit flush on the reel rather than up as on the 6500. You can't accidently knock it into free spool, as I hve seen done a few times.

All my 6500 bar 1 & 4500 are the older models with the preset front drag mechanism. I prefer these to the normal front drag systems. Gives you that tad more flexability. The trade off is that the A& B series have beefed up drags & they are the felt type. You can't just put am alloy spool on the older reels as the spindle is a tad larger, so a minor mod is required to make them fit.

All in all they are fantastic reels.

Little birdy tells me there might be a write up on the baitrunner in Junes BnB
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by -spiro-
    mines in the shop again due to a slipped cer-clip. this is the 2nd one i have had in within 6 months. i was told they where a faulty batch. I run both of mine with 30lb braid and one on a m10 and a live fibre wrap 10-15kilo on the other
    what batch number should I look out for???

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    [quote author=Fishin_Dan link=1147683373/0#4 date=1147691695]

The Marlin was on the Big baitrunner , the Wahoo was on the 6500

These reels are just about bullet proof.

We have 8 baitrunner type reels.
    We have 3 Daiwa ones that we use for estuary, mainly for mangrove jack.
    Have got 3 x 6500, 1 x 4500 & 1 x Big Baitrunner.
    We use the 6500 for mackerel & snapper. We run anything from 10kg mono to 30lb braid ( Spiderwire stealth or Powerpro) Use it in the shallows or out wide on the 50's it dont matter. We have ours matched to Livefibre 8-10kg spin sticks. The 4500 is a great reel for snapper on the close reefs. The smaller reel seems more balanced.

The big baitrunner I use on a Livefibre 15-24kg Spin stick. Loaded up with 65lb braid I use this to try and stop the brutes. The bigbaitrunner is a tad lighter than the 6500 but is very smooth. Before the 6500B come out the Big baitrunner was worth splashing out on, simply because it offered infinate backwind. However now that the 6500B does as well, they are pretty much on par for everything exept the drags. The Big baitrunner also has the lever sit flush on the reel rather than up as on the 6500. You can't accidently knock it into free spool, as I hve seen done a few times.

All my 6500 bar 1 & 4500 are the older models with the preset front drag mechanism. I prefer these to the normal front drag systems. Gives you that tad more flexability. The trade off is that the A& B series have beefed up drags & they are the felt type. You can't just put am alloy spool on the older reels as the spindle is a tad larger, so a minor mod is required to make them fit.

All in all they are fantastic reels.

Little birdy tells me there might be a write up on the baitrunner in Junes BnB [/quote]

Is their much difference from the bigbaitrunner to the 6500 baitrunner as In line capicity and drag???

The 6500 is a big reel and heavy. (two drags) Don't get me wrong, I love mine. I use it for floatlining for snapper in the winter and for mackerel in our (short) mac season. I have it on a 10 kg Ugly stik and have 20lb mono on it. I think the reel is better suited to heavier rods and I would prefer the 4500 on my rod or on the Wilson 8ft Live fibre 8-10 kg that I bought it with.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_N
    The 6500 is a big reel and heavy. (two drags) Don't get me wrong, I love mine. #I use it for floatlining for snapper in the winter and for mackerel in our (short) mac season. #I have it on a 10 kg Ugly stik and have 20lb mono on it. #I think the reel is better suited to heavier rods and I would prefer the 4500 on my rod or on the Wilson 8ft Live fibre 8-10 kg that I bought it with. #

Tony
    Cheers Tony for your quick reply, roughly how much was your combo? Does it really matter what rod it is comboed with ?Quality wise?

Schrammy

Mate it was maybe 3years ago I can't remember how much I paid. About $400 I think. I looked around MO Tackle and Campbells's Pro Tackle and others for the best price I could get and asked my local (Ballina) bloke if he could match it - he did and so I bought my line and lots of tackle since from him.

It really does matter what rod you put with any reel. It is such a pleasure to work with a combo that is well-balanced. Especially if you are going to be doing a lot of casting with it. That said, I think the best part of the baitrunners is not so much that they are useful for doing much spinning, but are great for floatlining for snapper in particular. Having little or no sinker, the back drag set on zero and the rod pointing down as much as possible towards the hooks to create minimum drag helps nab those big knobbies coming off the bottom for the burley.
    Its a great idea to talk to your tackle person about your rod after you have decided on your reel. You can feel the reel on a range of rods before you buy. You will soon sort out what feels best after a bit of advice from the guy in the shop. This is the great advantage of not buying at the Marts. I reckon baitcasters balance best on longer rods. If you are operating from a boat, then 8ft is probably about the comfortable limit for a rod.

Fishing for snapper in the above mentioned way and hooking a large Spanish mackerel is a recipe for disaster, however. I birdsnested mine much worse than I've ever seen a baitcaster by doing that.

FWIW

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by schrammy79
    Thanks for the speedy reply and not trying to change my mind on the reel I selected.How much did you guys pay for your reels and rods??? Also how do you find the weight of the reel using it all day or during a long battle??
    $195 for the reel
    $179 (I think) for the Live Fibre

I haven't used it much for casting, but it is a bit heavy. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though, I wouldn't think. It holds up very well in a long tussle - the 30lb mono would have given out way before the rod or reel.

Good luck,
    Mike

how does it go casting slugs/poppers