Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: knot got a clue

knot got a clue

trying to join platypus super braid 8lb to yamatoyo 12lb leader whick not would be best?

cheers

lippa

Re: knot got a clue

G'day Scott...just learning about braid..but found the albright easy to learn and tie and its designed for braid to mono leader. Make sure you put a bimini in the braid

There's another knot that's pretty easy called the deckies knot...I've given that a go to join mono to braid.

Some blokes use the uni knot too but I think the albrisght and deckies knots are the easiest and quieckest and perhaps the best

Cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

i use the double uni to join 30lb platypus super braid to mono leader, havent had any trouble with it yet, and its easier then tying a bimini in the braid IMO.

Half uni half blood knot. Simple and works a treat.

TinarooTriumph
    TT

here goes using the animated knots by grog site (great site) when i do the allbright i can snap the braid, but when using the dbl uni i can snap the leader (when i pull really tight) is this normal? or should i give up and go to the pub and talk $hit thanks for your help so far guys

cheers

lippa

Have a look at Geoff Wilsons complete book for the Braid Leader Knot. Same as TT's half and half above. Wilson has done all the breakage tests to prove this one to be the best. End of story

Tony

5 Turn Surgeon's knot is easy as..

The Twisted Leader knot gets my vote now. Up until then it was the double uni knot.

Half uni half blood knot

Any links to this knot? Is one line done as a Uni and the other as a blood knot?

thanks,
    oddbudman

I find the double uni works fine until your flourocarbon gets above 30lb and then the knot is too big.

I've got Geoff Wilsons book but haven't seen the hybrid uni/blood knot - does this make for a smaller knot on heavier leaders? (eg 50/80 lb)

The heavier leader is on my #2 spin stick which has 20lb fireline, have never had a prob with the double uni on my 6lb fireline outfit.
    Cheers,
    Tony

I used this site to get pictures of the knots, printed them out and put them in the bottom of my tackle box until I was comfortable tieing them.

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots/index.html

Hope it helps

Russ

Lippa,

If I were you, I'd go to the pub, get on the p$ss and talk sh$t. Those knots will be a piece of cake after a couple of hours.

TOL

Quote Originally Posted by lippa
    here goes using the animated knots by grog site (great site) when i do the allbright i can snap the braid, but when using the dbl uni i can snap the leader (when i pull really tight) is this normal? or should i give up and go to the pub and talk $hit thanks for your help so far guys
    Probably better off going for the double uni knots, since it should be quite strong, and it is probably better to snap the leader than the braid, so you don't lose a whole bunch of good braid in a tussle with a fish.

Although, I got to say, I'm still trying and working real hard to figure out how to seat my double uni knots so that the coils become super smoothly packed next to themselves. A properly formed uni knot will have the coils seated very neatly next to themselves, and when the knot is pulled tight, the structure turns into a cylindrical glass-like thing.

A lot of times, my coils get bunched up over themselves, and that's 'probably' bad news for knot strength.

Quote Originally Posted by oddbudman
    Half uni half blood knot

Any links to this knot? #Is one line done as a Uni and the other as a blood knot?

thanks,
    oddbudman
    Doesn't seem to be on the web anywhere.

I'll go to the library next week and get the book and post a pic. In short, what I do is run the two lines parallel, tie the mono around the braid with the first half of a double uni knot (5 times through the loop), and then wrap the braid around the mono 8 times and take the tag end of the braid through the gap where you started to overlap the mono with the braid in this second part of the knot. Alternatively, you can take it 8 times up and 8 times back and through the hole - and in either case, if you want (after the tag has gone through the hole)you can finish with a uni knot or a couple of half hitches over the top of this end of the knot.

I only use this knot if I am using light flurocarbon leader and particularly Vanish which breaks very easily with a double uni. I haven't tied it for a while.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_N
    [quote author=oddbudman link=1145526659/0#8 date=1145573398] Half uni half blood knot

Any links to this knot? Is one line done as a Uni and the other as a blood knot?

thanks,
    oddbudman
    Doesn't seem to be on the web anywhere.

*snip*

Tony
    [/quote]

I think Stren calls it the Stren knot. But I reckon that this knot has probably been used by lots of people in the past already before somebody decided to call it the Stren knot.

http://www.stren.com/knot11.htm