Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: knot got a clue

Re: knot got a clue

Yep - that's it, Kenny - thanks, saved me a trip to the library. Note at the the top of that page that they say "The resulting “Stren Knot” is exponentially stronger than the traditional “Uni-to-Uni” knot." Not sure exactly what that means, but my testing made it much stronger than the double uni for attaching Vanish flurocarbon to bimini doubled fireline

Tony

Tony / Kenny,

I'm going to give these a shot. The link is good thanks Kenny, but it does not identify which is the braid and which is the mono? Which is line A and line B?

Neil

You're welcome anytime Tony. Oh yeah.... and Neil, you're right. I had a look at the diagram and the braid will usually be the finer diameter line. So just go ahead and follow the diagram, where the thicker line will be the mono, and the braid will be the thin line. The diagram has a thick line (line A/mono) and a very thin line (line B/braid). I find that the coils tend to seat better and not bunch up as much as a uni-uni connection. When I do uni-uni's, I find that the coils just gather up and become a mess when I pull things tight. But the uni-improved clinch connection comes together more neatly.

Gorilla_in_Manila

Here's a link to animated and step by step knots:
    http://www.marinews.com/knot_rigs.ph...c580d050afa6b0

Looks like they upgraded the site and seems to be running a lot slower. But I'm on overseas dialup at the afternoon peak usage time here, so might be ok for others.

Hey Neil

I'd still use a double - tied with a bimini - for your braid before joining your leader to it.

Tony

bought a roll of 50lb jig man X8 braid today and inside was the directions for the 1/2 and 1/2 knot, so I recond if it is recommended by the Japanese for jig work it has to be pretty good.
    Cheers Ian

Darryl

This site is pretty good for knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexbo...matedknots.com

Cheers

Darryl

Tony, I think I need convincing that I need a Bimini for my bay fishing. I don't think I have ever had a failure at the loop and not too may at the knot. Just about every time I have a bust off, it is in the leader, down near the jig head, so that indicates to me that it is breaking in the most preferred spot. What do you think?
    Neil

See how you go with this Stren knot and the single braid. In theory the double helps prevent slippage and cutting of the mono. The Stren is not a "cutting" knot, so the double may not be necessary. I s'pose i'm just a knot junkie and I like to tie the bimini - its such a beautiful knot. You will find that you don't have to tie it very often anyway. I can only remember doing it at sea twice.

Tony

This topic coimes up very often on this site. It would be good to hear back from you as to how you are faring with the knot.

Check out this dacron sleeving spectra to get a 90% knot

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishin...hing_line.html

Lippa,
    Just get MRS Lippa to do it for you

or try and improved albright...... or a blood knot to a swivel

2rods

if she won't touch live worms, she won't be able to tie a double uni!! , been using the 5 turn surgeon knot. great knot for dtrenght, and bloody easy to tie.

cheers

lippa

Here's a link that might help a little .but then it might be knot helpful.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/sa...472807,00.html.
    spindles

fishamatic

i like the 5 turn surgeons knot. havent had any problems with it yet. easy to do in the dark at night too

Tony - are you still with us?

OK, I agree that the Bimini is a great knot and I'm coming around to your point of view. BUT, that doesn't help with the best knot between my jig head and the Fluoro leader. Hell, that's slippery stuff and if you don't do your braid / fluoro knot just spot on, you can pull the fluro through the braid. The knot can look real good, but put a bit of tension on it and it can fail.

On Saturday, I lost a horse of a fish. Braid to fluro in the Stren knot worked well. The 14 lb Vanish with a clinch or blood knot let go at the worst possible moment! Right on the gravy stroke... bugger! I have to get this sorted correctly, so I would be pleased for any suggestions.

Neil