Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Knot Knowledge'

Re: 'Knot Knowledge'

Theo , you need to get your hands on Geoff Wilsons book of knots. It will have every knot you could possibly ever want to know.

cheers
    jason
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

I thought I used a braid leader knot but it turns out I was using an albright.
    Where can i find a diagram of a BLK???

Quote Originally Posted by rando
    I thought I used a braid leader knot but it turns out I was using an albright.
    I have no idea at all. I put 'braid leader knot' in google, and the result I get is absolutely zip. Maybe it's a new knot or something, or the name is being mis-used.

I've also come to a pre-mature conclusion that it's not easy to make a super strong connection between gelspun and mono, no matter what knot is used. I find that when you hard-tension the line a number of times, the join between the gelspun and mono will eventually fail, and the tension applied at failure is one where a really good terminal knot would not bust. But even if it's hard to make a super strong connection between gelspun and mono, drag settings is probably the key to compensating for weaknesses in the tackle system.....which is common knowledge anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by longtail
    Theo , you need to get your hands on Geoff Wilsons book of knots. It will have every knot you could possibly ever want to know.

cheers
    jason
    G'day mate.

Ive heard a lot about that book, havnt gotten around to buying it, but... all my 'knot research' is done on leadertec.com. Its a very usefull site, and it beats going out and buying book anyday!

Cheers.

Theo
    TT

TT and Tony,

Tony_N (the knot hound) has got me into the knot thing and I've tried and tested quite a few.

For terminal tackle connections, get into the Collar ans Capstan. I havn't lost a thing since I switched.

For Braid / Leader connection, I have settled on the Stren knot: again, not a fault since I switched to this.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming
    *snip*
    For terminal tackle connections, get into the Collar anD Capstan. I havn't lost a thing since I switched.
    *snip*
    I just did a search in google for 'collar and capstan', and only found 1 hit, but it doesn't lead to any diagram or tying instructions for that.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    [quote author=rando link=1149242433/15#16 date=1149405511]I thought I used a braid leader knot but it turns out I was using an albright.
    I have no idea at all. I put 'braid leader knot' in google, and the result I get is absolutely zip. Maybe it's a new knot or something, or the name is being mis-used.

I've also come to a pre-mature conclusion that it's not easy to make a super strong connection between gelspun and mono, no matter what knot is used. I find that when you hard-tension the line a number of times, the join between the gelspun and mono will eventually fail, and the tension applied at failure is one where a really good terminal knot would not bust. But even if it's hard to make a super strong connection between gelspun and mono, drag settings is probably the key to compensating for weaknesses in the tackle system.....which is common knowledge anyhow.[/quote]

I wasn't able to find it on the net either - but I did post a couple of pics to show how it is tied - see the following thread:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...45526659/30#30

when you tension it up hold it as per pic 2? (the one with my hand in it). #The mono tag twists itself around #the intertwined lines and to make it work the end loop of the braid needs to be eased down to the twisted lines as you tighten. #It does need a lot of pulling from both lines to finally get it tight and when you cut off the tag you need to leave at least 1mm sticking out. Its a very pretty knot

Caught a 6kg jew yesterday using this knot - admittedly on 20lb line and leader - but I wouldn't guarantee a uni-to-uni (that I tied) to hold up on the (short but powerful) fight he gave me.

Brent_P (who really knows his knots) has some comments on tying the knot and some stuff on uni-to-uni that is really worth a look (see p4. of the thread I listed above) In fact if you really want to learn some serious stuff about knots, check all of his recent posts - they are worth reading.

Tony

Kenny, have a look here for the collar and Capstan.

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots...r_capstan.html

Neil