Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Erskine's washers

Jack Erskine's washers

I have given two of my reels the Jack Erskine treatment now and love the results. First I sent him my lever drag ABU 4000 and the improvement is vast. So much smoother and I have measured ten kilos of drag now and don't dare find out what its capable of on one of my rods. Will gladly try to max it out if anybody wants to donate a rod to science. He also did some other trickery inside that reel that that model often needs.

Today he sent me the complete carbontex set and one of his machined metal washers for my Shimano Curado 100B. I have never been happy with the drag on this reel since new. I could lock it up to the point where I thought I was gunna snap the plastic star drag knobs off and then grab the line and run across the road with it. It was thumbs or nuttin. Ten minutes it took to install the three washers and I estimate 4 to 6 kilos will be easy and smoooooth. I'll measure it on the rack raider it lives on tomorrow.

Not affiliated with him. Paid for both these upgrades and would do it again in a flash. Highly recommended to all ausfishers.

Re: Jack Erskine's washers

Yeah Mooks
    I have given a few of my reels, and done a few for customers, the JE upgrades,
    Can make a big difference.!!

Regards, Tony

I have an abu 5500 that was transormed by erskine drag smoothies. Smoothies are the bees knees

they do alot for abus but not much for curados though

cheers
    jim

What ya mean jimbo? Didn't you have much improvement when you erskinised your curado? Coz mines bloody beeeeewdiful.

na mate got about half a kilo more outa mine, what model you got B or BSF just wondering if they may be slightly different.

cheers
    jim

I just have the 100B. I really think there was something seriously wrong with the drag straight out of the box. It was a shocker. So any drag is better than what I had.

Hey Jimbo,

When you modified your curado did you swap two drag washers for the carbontex, one small and one large? Did you also put in a machined metal washer he supplies?

I think the Cal's drag plate is as important as the washer upgrade,I did a TN 30 with extreme smoothies and a plate,first off I just fitted the plate and tested it,that alone kiked up the drag,then fitted the washers as well and ended up with half as much drag again,pity the antireverse couldn't handle the upgrade though.

mmmmmm dont know weather the metal one was in there? might have to have a look

cheers

Hey Jimbo,

I sent Jack an email regarding some ABU's that I am giving the treatment to now and I included this string for him to look at. He just wrote back to me and said if you send him up ya Curado he will "sort it out for him N/C my compliments .!!!!!!!"

There ya go mate. Pop him an email to verify it I spose.

What is the Calcutta 400 drag like out of the box and does Jack transform them too?

Hey JohnThomas,

I have read this string multiple times now and can't see anywhere that I mentioned that I owned a Calcutta 400. Am I blind, did I mention it in another string or is the fact that you asked about this reel just a coincidence?

In answer to your question I did in fact ask him about them and he does do them. My Calcutta 400 TE has a smooth drag straight out of the box under normal drag settings however when I back it off completely and just pull line off it has a tiny little grab each spool rotation. The reel is still beatiful to cast and although I haven't locked horns with a big barra with it yet I think I know reels well enough to say it will be up to the task. It's just one of those things that I want to be perfect coz I spent so much on it so I am considering sending it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by themooks
    Hey JohnThomas,

I have read this string multiple times now and can't see anywhere that I mentioned that I owned a Calcutta 400. #Am I blind, did I mention it in another string or is the fact that you asked about this reel just a coincidence?

In answer to your question I did in fact ask him about them and he does do them. #My Calcutta 400 TE has a smooth drag straight out of the box under normal drag settings however when I back it off completely and just pull line off it has a tiny little grab each spool rotation. #The reel is still beatiful to cast and although I haven't locked horns with a big barra with it yet I think I know reels well enough to say it will be up to the task. #It's just one of those things that I want to be perfect coz I spent so much on it so I am considering sending it to him.
    Sorry mate, i am new here and had never heard of the keen trend toward the Erskine washers. Obviously they are brilliant. I was just wondering if they had provisions for the 400 as it is the reel i own and use and didn't want to start a new thread.

Thanks for the reply mate.

themooks, i was just wondering could you give me his email address as i would like to talk to him about a few mods thanks champ cheers ian